Re: [John Muir Trail] Clouds Rest junction

  • Alex Cheng
    Message 1 of 37 , May 19, 2013
      IMO, that is a very nice place to stay for your first night.  It's past all the people heading up to Half Dome (and higher in elevation - which is good for altitude acclimation).  Unlike staying in LYV, it also makes the first day's hike a little more than a couple hours of trekking.

      Now nothing guarantees that your belongings will be safe while you're away.  This is the case during your entire JMT trek.  However, I've never had any problems with my belongings while I'm taking a day hike.

      As for your bear canister while you're on a day hike, I leave it at least 10 yards away from my tent (just like during the night when I'm sleeping).  I also make sure it cannot roll away down a hill or roll into a lake/creek - if a bear decides to play around with it.  The last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time looking for it.

      Regards,
      Alex

      Message 37 of 37 , May 26, 2013
        I was using my boots as part of my pillow system this past week when a porcupine chewed on my pack. Maybe I should be glad it got to my pack first ;o)

        Although I'd love to see a porcupine. They're really cool animals.

        bill

        On May 22, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Dittli-Goethals <johndittli@...> wrote:

        My ski poles still have nibble marks on the handles from some rodent somewhere. I think they will only go after the grips, so if supporting a tent, they might have a hard time shinnying up the shaft. As well over the years among many other minor gnawings: I've had a ball cap eaten (they left the plastic bill), a washed and drying bandana chewed, boots gnawed by a Porcupine (fortunately I was using them as a pillow at the time, an exciting awakening!), and my favorite; my bivy sack with sleeping bag, pulled ~100' from camp and partially down a Marmot hole.

        JD