Clouds Rest junction

  • kblovold
    Message 1 of 37 , May 19, 2013
      We are planning on hiking half dome after spending our first night at Clouds Rest Junction. Our plan is to head up early in the morning and to leave our tent setup with our backpacks inside until we return from half dome mid day. What do we do with our bear canisters while we are at half dome? Can we assume that our belongings are safe to leave while we are away?
    • Bill Cathey
      Message 37 of 37 , May 26, 2013
        I was using my boots as part of my pillow system this past week when a porcupine chewed on my pack. Maybe I should be glad it got to my pack first ;o)

        Although I'd love to see a porcupine. They're really cool animals.

        bill

        On May 22, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Dittli-Goethals <johndittli@...> wrote:

        My ski poles still have nibble marks on the handles from some rodent somewhere. I think they will only go after the grips, so if supporting a tent, they might have a hard time shinnying up the shaft. As well over the years among many other minor gnawings: I've had a ball cap eaten (they left the plastic bill), a washed and drying bandana chewed, boots gnawed by a Porcupine (fortunately I was using them as a pillow at the time, an exciting awakening!), and my favorite; my bivy sack with sleeping bag, pulled ~100' from camp and partially down a Marmot hole.

        JD