Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply at Bishop in June

    Message 1 of 8 , May 19, 2013
      Hiking over Kearsage Pass to the Onion Valley trailhead, and then hitching down to Independence, is probably the best option as it is roughly midway between vermillion Valley Resort (where you can get a resupply) and Whitney Portal. Not much in the way of grocery stores there, but there is a post office.

      On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM, winitamar <winitamar@...> wrote:

      Since the MTR will be closed till the end of June, what are the best resupply options for the second half of the JMT? Is it a good idea to hitchhike from Bishop pass into Bishop?
      Has anybody tried this before?

      Thanks for the help!

    • Don Amundson
      Message 2 of 8 , May 19, 2013
        "Best resupply option" is dependent on your situation.  Where was you previous resupply, how many miles a day are doing, how much food can you carry etc.  If the numbers make sense for you going out over Bishop pass it's reasonable.  It's a 12+ mile  jaunt to the trail head at South Lake and goes through the very scenic Dusy Basin.  From there consider hitching to Parchers Resort rather than Bishop.  It's about a mile from the trail head.  They offer backpacker services including holding resupply packages.  They also have hot showers, a restaurant, cabins if you want to stay a night.

        Going out over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley is a bit shorter at about 7.3 miles.  The hitch into Independence may be difficult.  You can call the Mt. Williamson hotel from the trail head and they'll pick you up for a fee.  It's worth staying the night there.  The Chevron gas station in Independence has a mini mart you can resupply from plus showers and laundry facilities.  Also the post office if you mail your resupply.

        You can always get a packer to bring in your supplies (or in the case of Onion Valley leave them there at the pack station for you to pick up) to just about any place you want as long as the passes are clear of snow and they should be this year if your going in June.

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: winitamar@...
        Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 00:48:42 +0000
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Resupply at Bishop in June

        Since the MTR will be closed till the end of June, what are the best resupply options for the second half of the JMT? Is it a good idea to hitchhike from Bishop pass into Bishop?
        Has anybody tried this before?

        Thanks for the help!

      • Joe MacLeish
        Message 3 of 8 , May 19, 2013

          winitamar:

          Hitching from North lake to South lake Sabrina is a cinch and down to town also.  Yes I have done it multitudinous times.  You could resupply at VVR and then see if the Berner's will meet you south of MTR.  See the notes for Berner's contacts/

          Joe

          Message 4 of 8 , May 19, 2013
            The easiest in &out is Kersarge. By far. Bishop Pass is a long haul.

            Multiply 7.3 vs 12 + x 2 and it is close to 25 mi vs 14.5. I've gotten rides out of S.Lake but I've also had to walk almost to the main road.

            I've left my camp set up at Kersarge Lake gotten up early and picked up resupply and hiked back to the lake the same day.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "winitamar" <winitamar@...> wrote:

            > Since the MTR will be closed till the end of June, what are the best resupply options for the second half of the JMT? Is it a good idea to hitchhike from Bishop pass into Bishop?
            > Has anybody tried this before?
            >
            > Thanks for the help!

          • nedtibbits
            Message 5 of 8 , May 20, 2013
              Don’t forget, Parcher’s Resort at South Lake is there to help hikers however needed!

              Ned Tibbits, Director
              Mountain Education
              www.mountaineducation.org

              Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:11 PM
              Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Resupply at Bishop in June

              Message 6 of 8 , May 20, 2013
                I should have mentioned this before if you are deciding between Bishop Pass and Kearsage Pass resupplies.

                If you don't want to hitch from the Onion Valley trailhead (Kearsarge Pass) down to Independence and back, and can afford to pay something for resupply transportation/storage, Berner's Pack Station will hold a resupply for you (giving you flexibility on when you arrive) or East Side Sierra Shuttle will meet you with a resupply (if you can commit to a firm meetup date/time.)

                Berners also packs in resupplies to Charlotte lake.

                On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
                Hiking over Kearsage Pass to the Onion Valley trailhead, and then hitching down to Independence, is probably the best option as it is roughly midway between vermillion Valley Resort (where you can get a resupply) and Whitney Portal. Not much in the way of grocery stores there, but there is a post office.

              • kblovold
                Message 7 of 8 , May 20, 2013
                  MT Williamson Motel in Independence also has resupply options and is under new ownership.
                  It maybe worth checking out depending on your needs.
                  http://mtwilliamsonmotel.com/