Re: Leki Poles

  • Darryl
    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2013
      I just read on another forum that Leki does have a phone number on their Worldwide Distribution page. Really? It's a little bit late. Besides, I don't want to distribute them, I'm a customer.
      Darryl
    • dofdear aka Thumper
      Message 2 of 7 , May 18, 2013

        Hey Darryl

        Check out http://www.leki.com/773--contact.html and scroll to the bottom of the page  You will find the company address and phone number;

        LEKI USA, Inc.
        458 Sonwil Drive
        Buffalo , NY 14225
        Fax: (800) 291-2161
        Skype: LEKI Customer Service

        It’s been there all along…  And since we are on the topic, I’ve heard nothing but good things about their CS including my own experience.  I too have the BD Alpine Carbon Cork and am going to the Leki for several reasons; 1.  The BD cork breaks down and crumbles away over a period of time: 2.  the cork retains dirt and sweat; 3.  the warranty is much better than BD, 5 years on breakage, 10 years on service of wearout parts and lifetime on defects.  In fact BD was going to sell me a replacement set of Alpine Carbon Cork poles for less than $80 and I’m still going with the Leki poles.  You may want to revisit.

        http://www.leki.com/764--philosophy.html?__utma=206250321.1490931684.1368561110.1368834953.1368917528.3&__utmb=206250321.5.10.1368917528&__utmc=206250321&__utmx=-&__utmz=206250321.1368917528.3.3.utmcsr=leki.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmv=-&__utmk=150832949

        Thumper aka Dan C.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 18, 2013
          Thumper,

          Thanks. I only see a fax number. I see a Skype number, but that is not how I want to communicate for business.

          Darryl

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dofdear aka Thumper" <dofdear@...> wrote:

          > Hey Darryl
          >

          > Check out http://www.leki.com/773--contact.html and scroll to the bottom of
          > the page You will find the company address and phone number;
          >

          > LEKI USA, Inc.
          > 458 Sonwil Drive
          > Buffalo, NY 14225
          > Fax: (800) 291-2161
          > Skype: LEKI Customer Service
          >

          > It's been there all along. And since we are on the topic, I've heard
          > nothing but good things about their CS including my own experience. I too
          > have the BD Alpine Carbon Cork and am going to the Leki for several reasons;
          > 1. The BD cork breaks down and crumbles away over a period of time: 2. the
          > cork retains dirt and sweat; 3. the warranty is much better than BD, 5
          > years on breakage, 10 years on service of wearout parts and lifetime on
          > defects. In fact BD was going to sell me a replacement set of Alpine Carbon
          > Cork poles for less than $80 and I'm still going with the Leki poles. You
          > may want to revisit.
          >

          > http://www.leki.com/764--philosophy.html?__utma=206250321.1490931684.1368561
          > 110.1368834953.1368917528.3
          > <http://www.leki.com/764--philosophy.html?__utma=206250321.1490931684.136856
          > 1110.1368834953.1368917528.3&__utmb=206250321.5.10.1368917528&__utmc=2062503
          > 21&__utmx=-&__utmz=206250321.1368917528.3.3.utmcsr=leki.com|utmccn=(referral
          > )|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmv=-&__utmk=150832949>
          > &__utmb=206250321.5.10.1368917528&__utmc=206250321&__utmx=-&__utmz=206250321
          > .1368917528.3.3.utmcsr=leki.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&_
          > _utmv=-&__utmk=150832949
          >

          > Thumper aka Dan C.
          >

          > _____

        • wcgornto
          Message 4 of 7 , May 18, 2013
            I've had good experience with Leki. I used a single set the full length of the Appalachian Trail. After about 1200 miles, I replaced the tips in Harpers Ferry, WV. At around Erwin, TN, a pole shaft gave out. I strapped one pole o my pack until I arrived in Hot Springs, NC, and had the failed lower shaft replaced FREE at the outfitter in Hot Springs. My understanding I'd that Leki keeps the outfitters along the AT stocked with replacement parts to address the maintenance needs that accrue over that distance.

            I have since moved to Black Diamond because I prefer their flick locks, but I have nothing bad to say about Leki.
          • Darryl
            Message 5 of 7 , May 19, 2013
              I loved my first pair of Leki Khumbu trekking poles. Their  Aergon grip is terrific and there is no question that the quality of their poles is great. I just struggled to figure out their twist lock function.

              I think it is human nature to become possessive and protective of products and brands we trust, that is why it was hard for me to switch "allegiance".  I would have stuck with the company if not for this bad experience. If I didn't have the chutzpah to go back to Amazon and ask for help, I'd don't know where I'd be.

              Even if Leki  responds to my previous requests for help, my attitude is that I don't know what there is to discuss, as they should be talking to their IT people or whoever will make their customer service more visible and more active. It is a done deal.

              There is not one pole that is perfect. There are many good poles out there that I'm sure work well for others.  Like people, poles have strengths and weaknesses and for now I'm sticking  with what works for me. The  important thing is that as long as our poles keep us safe and don't break, we're OK.

               I was concerned that my post may be a bit incendiary and, as has frequently happened before, by venting publicly, I may eventually regret it.

              Darryl

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "wcgornto" <wcgornto@...> wrote:

              > I've had good experience with Leki. I used a single set the full length of the Appalachian Trail. After about 1200 miles, I replaced the tips in Harpers Ferry, WV. At around Erwin, TN, a pole shaft gave out. I strapped one pole o my pack until I arrived in Hot Springs, NC, and had the failed lower shaft replaced FREE at the outfitter in Hot Springs. My understanding I'd that Leki keeps the outfitters along the AT stocked with replacement parts to address the maintenance needs that accrue over that distance.
              >
              > I have since moved to Black Diamond because I prefer their flick locks, but I have nothing bad to say about Leki.

            • sanfran_rwood
              Message 6 of 7 , May 19, 2013
                Obviously every company has its up days and down, but I'll add another comment on Leki. I've got a pair of their Super Makalu poles. I managed to bend one of them after it was out of warranty (which is the reason I encourage everyone to take the straps off their poles...). I asked them whether I could order a replacement for the middle section of the three-part shaft, but they don't do direct retail, which I was disappointed by but kinda understand.

                But they pointed me to a local shop that would order the part for me, which was adequate. Point being that their customer service was fine, even out of warranty.

                I can understand having a bad enough experience that one would never want to deal with a company again, but Leki doesn't seem to warrant universal condemnation. I notice their FAQ refers to a warranty claim page, but they don't have anything that explicit, although their U.S.A. contact page does seem to have that context. They obviously could do better.