RE: [John Muir Trail] Appropriate length for fixed length trekking poles

  • Joe MacLeish
    Message 1 of 9 , May 18, 2013

      John:

      I use my poles as tent poles in my tents (Tarptent  or SoLong 6) so for others who do the same, fixed lengths don't work so well.  Actually I start out at the recommended length for the tent and then later when the material stretches a bit I add another 2-3 cm to the length of the poles to tighten the tent up.  But for the data base I am 6 ft and set my poles a 130 cm and only change them when I am scrambling and need my hands free (I close them up and hang them from the pack).

      Joe

      Message 2 of 9 , May 18, 2013
        I have two sets of fixed length poles, both 120cm. I'm 5"11" and shrinking. I'm almost afraid to measure again having peaked at 6'. Frankly I could never get my head wrapped around the pole adjusting deal. I just change my hand position and/or pole placement for changes in terrain. I do use a pole for shelter support like Joe mentioned but find a rock to put under it to re-tension my sil-nylon shelter.
        Going to a fixed length pole cut the weight of the poles by about half and greatly increased my hiking pleasure.

        John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

        > I'm a fan of adjustable trekking poles, but I did want to experiment a bit......
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 9 , May 18, 2013
          John:

          I'm 5'10" and I keep my difficult-to-adjust adjustable poles set at 115cm. Based on all the responses you've gotten, 130cm seems like it might be a bit too long for someone your height, IMO.

          Chris.