RE: [John Muir Trail] Looking for First Night Permit Advice

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2013
      "I'm just curious if anyone thinks that spending my first night hiking on Aug 15th at LYV with a sidetrip to Half Dome and back is actually better than trying to change my permit for the pass through? "

      I would say most definitely, YES . . . taking everything into account you will no doubt be a little tired . . . even though you'll have two days or so to hang out in the valley and watch people trying to feed the bears and other fun things––that first hot, uphill day can be a bit of a slog.

      Start early, around 8-9 and you'll hopefully be up at LYV around 1 p.m. Pitch camp there at LYV then grab your water, a little snack, a jacket and headlamp and head on up to Half Dome.

      You can get up there and back in about 4-5 hours, maybe less . . . but if for any reason you should end up in the dark, you'll really want that headlamp.

      As for changing your permit . . . never hurts to march into the office as soon as you  get there and ask.

      Bob

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2013
        "I'm just curious if anyone thinks that spending my first night hiking on Aug 15th at LYV with a sidetrip to Half Dome and back is actually better than trying to change my permit for the pass through? "

        I would also add that the option of dumping your gear at the HD junction has always seemed like such a risk to me and since you're coming all the way from wherever (canada, or just Sn Francisco, like me) why bother taking the chance of screwing up your trip when you are barely two days into it––by getting your gear perhaps mauled by a bear or other animal.

        And then there's just the idea of taking it slow. Maybe you're one of those super backpackers and you're gonna do mega miles each day, but if you want to go fast . . . take it slow the first day or so then when you hit Lyell Canyon you just open it up and run if you want to.

        Sweat your way up from the valley to LYV . . . let your boots and feet get to know each other once again and remember––it's all uphill, so the boots you thought might be good to go, might just surprise you after two days of hot uphill hiking.

        Anyway  . . .

        BOB

      • Alex Cheng
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2013
          And if I remember correctly, there are 'big' bear boxes in LYV for you to put your food in while you're visiting Half Dome.  It's worth the side trip, if you've never done it before.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2013
            Ravi,

            There is a rabbi thru-hiking the JMT this year so it is going to be kosher anyway! I hope he is going to make a blessing over the stars for me.

            Darryl