Looking for First Night Permit Advice

  • clailey2
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2013
      I am hiking the JMT starting Aug 15th. I plan to arrive late in the day on Aug 13th after about 12 hours of travelling from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I will spend the night at Currie Village - already booked. On Aug 14, I plan to stay at the backpacker camp. I will start hiking at Happy Isles on the 15th.

      My reservation for a permit allows me to camp at Little Yosemite Valley the first night (Aug 15th), and I also have a Half Dome permit for that day. That's not very far!

      Originally, I tried for many, many times to get a Merced Lake pass through, but failed.

      I would love to hike much further than LYV on my first night, and therefore might try to line up early on the 14th to trade my existing reservation for a permit for a Merced Lake pass-through permit. My understanding is there are very few of these.

      I'm just curious if anyone thinks that spending my first night hiking on Aug 15th at LYV with a sidetrip to Half Dome and back is actually better than trying to change my permit for the pass through?

      Honestly, the Half Dome sidetrip is not a huge draw for me (partly due to crowds and a minor issue with heights), and I know I will be very eager to spend a full day hiking and get some meaningful distance and solitude. I think it will be a bit like the first day of high school. I'll have lots of energy and drive! I will be very eager to get some miles in.

      I do have a fairly aggressive plan, and hope to complete the JMT in 15 days. Many thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts about what might be best for me to do. Stick with the permit reservation I have (and love it), or try to change the permit in person on the morning of the 14th (and get more miles faster)?
    • ravi_jmt2013
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15, 2013
        If you end up trying to change the permit to one that will allow travel beyond Little Yosemite Valley, you might want to also consider the Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley permit.

        Despite the name of the permit, the ranger I spoke to assured me that I can in fact hike beyond Little Yosemite Valley on this permit, unlike the HI>>LYV permit where hikers must camp at LYV.

        There are four first-come-first-served permits available each day for the GP>>LYV permit so you might be able to double your chances if you ask for that one if the Sunrise/Merced passthrough permits are taken.

        Of course, this assumes that you don't mind missing the first portion of the JMT but with the rock slide, a pure kosher JMT hike may not be possible this year anyway unless the trail is cleared by then... or if it is cleared, you could hike up the JMT to the Panorama junction and back the day prior to your permit date. That is what I plan to do if the rock slide is cleared by late August.

        On my first day, I plan to hike from GP to near the Clouds Rest trail junction, set up camp, then backtrack to Half Dome if I have enough time and energy to do so.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clailey2" <chris@...> wrote:

        > I am hiking the JMT starting Aug 15th. I plan to arrive late in the day on Aug 13th after about 12 hours of travelling from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I will spend the night at Currie Village - already booked. On Aug 14, I plan to stay at the backpacker camp. I will start hiking at Happy Isles on the 15th.
        >
        > My reservation for a permit allows me to camp at Little Yosemite Valley the first night (Aug 15th), and I also have a Half Dome permit for that day. That's not very far!
        >
        > Originally, I tried for many, many times to get a Merced Lake pass through, but failed.
        >
        > I would love to hike much further than LYV on my first night, and therefore might try to line up early on the 14th to trade my existing reservation for a permit for a Merced Lake pass-through permit. My understanding is there are very few of these.
        >
        > I'm just curious if anyone thinks that spending my first night hiking on Aug 15th at LYV with a sidetrip to Half Dome and back is actually better than trying to change my permit for the pass through?
        >
        > Honestly, the Half Dome sidetrip is not a huge draw for me (partly due to crowds and a minor issue with heights), and I know I will be very eager to spend a full day hiking and get some meaningful distance and solitude. I think it will be a bit like the first day of high school. I'll have lots of energy and drive! I will be very eager to get some miles in.
        >
        > I do have a fairly aggressive plan, and hope to complete the JMT in 15 days. Many thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts about what might be best for me to do. Stick with the permit reservation I have (and love it), or try to change the permit in person on the morning of the 14th (and get more miles faster)?

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2013
          "I'm just curious if anyone thinks that spending my first night hiking on Aug 15th at LYV with a sidetrip to Half Dome and back is actually better than trying to change my permit for the pass through? "

          I would say most definitely, YES . . . taking everything into account you will no doubt be a little tired . . . even though you'll have two days or so to hang out in the valley and watch people trying to feed the bears and other fun things––that first hot, uphill day can be a bit of a slog.

          Start early, around 8-9 and you'll hopefully be up at LYV around 1 p.m. Pitch camp there at LYV then grab your water, a little snack, a jacket and headlamp and head on up to Half Dome.

          You can get up there and back in about 4-5 hours, maybe less . . . but if for any reason you should end up in the dark, you'll really want that headlamp.

          As for changing your permit . . . never hurts to march into the office as soon as you  get there and ask.

          Bob

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2013
            "I'm just curious if anyone thinks that spending my first night hiking on Aug 15th at LYV with a sidetrip to Half Dome and back is actually better than trying to change my permit for the pass through? "

            I would also add that the option of dumping your gear at the HD junction has always seemed like such a risk to me and since you're coming all the way from wherever (canada, or just Sn Francisco, like me) why bother taking the chance of screwing up your trip when you are barely two days into it––by getting your gear perhaps mauled by a bear or other animal.

            And then there's just the idea of taking it slow. Maybe you're one of those super backpackers and you're gonna do mega miles each day, but if you want to go fast . . . take it slow the first day or so then when you hit Lyell Canyon you just open it up and run if you want to.

            Sweat your way up from the valley to LYV . . . let your boots and feet get to know each other once again and remember––it's all uphill, so the boots you thought might be good to go, might just surprise you after two days of hot uphill hiking.

            Anyway  . . .

            BOB

          • Alex Cheng
            Message 5 of 6 , May 16, 2013
              And if I remember correctly, there are 'big' bear boxes in LYV for you to put your food in while you're visiting Half Dome.  It's worth the side trip, if you've never done it before.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 18, 2013
                Ravi,

                There is a rabbi thru-hiking the JMT this year so it is going to be kosher anyway! I hope he is going to make a blessing over the stars for me.

                Darryl