Re: [John Muir Trail] Shuttle Services

  • Adam .
    Message 1 of 12 , May 15, 2013
      From Muir Trail Ranch, you can hike 5.5 miles to Florence Lake. There is a ferry that will shuttle you to the other side of the lake, or you can hike the 5 or so miles yourself around the lake http://www.florence-lake.com/FL-Ferry.html . From there, you can catch a shuttle operated by Vermillion Valley Resort to Fresno, probably anywhere else you ask (http://www.edisonlake.com/hikers/transportation). It's an expensive shuttle even if you split it with people.

      If you're willing to hike a bit further, you can head down the JMT another 3.5 miles to the junction with Piute Trail. From there, it is around 18 miles over Piute Pass to North Lake. You could probably hitchhike into Bishop from North Lake, and then you can catch the ESTA bus back to Yosemite.

      Adam

      On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Kyle Arn <arn.kyle@...> wrote:

      Are there shuttle services from the Muir Trail Ranch back to Yosemite?  Would the Ranch be a good halfway point heading southbound?

      Kyle

    • Larry Beck
      Message 2 of 12 , May 15, 2013
        Kyle, There is also a shuttle service that you can hire. His name is Bob Ennis out of Lone Pine but he services the entire Sierra's I believe.
        Bob Ennis's phone number is: (760) 876-1915. I'm sure he'd pick you up at North Lake and drive you to Yosemite or just to Bishop if you wanted.

        Larry

        Message 3 of 12 , May 15, 2013
          On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Larry Beck <becklaurence@...> wrote:
          There is also a shuttle service that you can hire. His name is Bob Ennis out of Lone Pine but he services the entire Sierra's I believe.
          Bob Ennis's phone number is: (760) 876-1915. I'm sure he'd pick you up at North Lake and drive you to Yosemite or just to Bishop if you wanted.

          Also for pickups at North Lake, try East Side Sierra Shuttle, a newer competitor of Bob Ennis which seems to offer lower prices.

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 12 , May 16, 2013
            Kyle,

            (My very early morning babble...)

            If it hasn't been covered yet and you are good with thumbing, versus paying a somewhat large chunk of cash--you can thumb out on the east side MUCH easier than the west.

            We've covered this point a few times, but its always a good reminder...

            My main point to impress is just that options to thumb out on the west are very limited and involve much greater distances versus the east side.

            Trying to thumb out of VVR or MTR is a real drag while if you really had to you could pretty much walk out of the east side and down to civilization--a difference of 15-20 miles versus, what ...50--70 on the west side.

            Maybe most important is the east side friendliness you will encounter. It almost seems like on the west side people see a backpacker and can't figure it out, while on the east, they see you and they kinda know you're a harmless if not smelly backpacker and they pick you up anyway.

            My vote for getting out at a sort of mid-way point would be over silver pass and down to the mono creek junction/ pass ..... Over and down to mosquito flats trailhead then a cheap thumb into Bishop, where you can thumb back up into Yosemite or you can relax and catch the morning ESTA shuttle at about 715 a.m.

            Otherwise, yeah, you can pay the luxury bucks and have someone come collect you.

            Bob

            Sent from my iPhone

            On May 15, 2013, at 10:17 AM, "Kyle Arn" <arn.kyle@...> wrote:

            Are there shuttle services from the Muir Trail Ranch back to Yosemite?  Would the Ranch be a good halfway point heading southbound?

            Kyle

          • sanfran_rwood
            Message 5 of 12 , May 16, 2013

              > If it hasn't been covered yet and you are good with
              > thumbing, versus paying a somewhat large chunk of
              > cash--you can thumb out on the east side MUCH easier
              > than the west.

              It certainly should be easier hitchhiking on the east side -- the shorter distances to the trailheads plus the fact that the highway there is the major route to get anywhere means there will be a lot more traffic than deep, deep, deep in the mountains behind Fresno.

              That said, at least some of the folks leaving those mountains know what a backpacker is and will pick you up. I had to bail out of my first JMT at VVR and caught a ride. True: I had to wait over an hour, but only two or three non-stoppers went by in that time before an SUV picked me up (also: this was the second half of September, so traffic was even lighter). Given the length of the trip down to Fresno, I tossed in $40 or $60 bucks for gas, pour encourager les autres.

              Not recommended except in emergencies, though.
            • cjoslyn99
              Message 6 of 12 , May 17, 2013
                Short answer is no and there are not many options on the west side.

                MTR doesn't have a road. You would need to hike to Florence Lake and
                take the ferry across. You may be able to arrange for the VVR shuttle
                to get you from there and take you to Fresno (check their website about
                that).

                The better place is to exit VVR, since they do run a shuttle from their
                place to Fresno (check their website for reservations/pricing) and
                sometimes you can arrange for a ride out w/ staff or other guests.

                In either case, once you get to Fresno, you can take the train to Merced
                and then YARTS to Yosemite, but it may take a day or two total travel
                time.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 17, 2013
                  Three times in my hiking groups, people have exited from MTR.  The Shuttle Service (that services VVR) can also be arranged to meet at Florence lake, (about 4 mile walk from MTR), yes it does cost money--I think around $200 to get you from Florence Lake to a nearby town with a bus or airport.  One year, hitchhiking from Florence Lake got the job done.  Hitchhikers often get rides when a car is available with space, as drivers are friendly there but not as numerous as other places.

                  There is a road from MTR to Florence Lake, but it is limited to MTR-permanently stationed vehicles, and it is a very rough road, requiring a jeep or jeep-type truck moving very slowly.

                  I don't know how much more the cost of the ride is from VVR to a nearby town versus from Florence Lake to a nearby town.  Worth investigating and reporting back to the group.

                  In either case, you have about a 4 mile walk (either from JMT to Florence Lake Ferry landing, or from MTR to Florence Lake).

                  I personally have never exited myself from MTR.

                  _

                  On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

                  Short answer is no and there are not many options on the west side.

                  MTR doesn't have a road. You would need to hike to Florence Lake and
                  take the ferry across. You may be able to arrange for the VVR shuttle
                  to get you from there and take you to Fresno (check their website about
                  that).

                  The better place is to exit VVR, since they do run a shuttle from their
                  place to Fresno (check their website for reservations/pricing) and
                  sometimes you can arrange for a ride out w/ staff or other guests.

                  In either case, once you get to Fresno, you can take the train to Merced
                  and then YARTS to Yosemite, but it may take a day or two total travel
                  time.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Arn wrote:

                  > Are there shuttle services from the Muir Trail Ranch back to Yosemite?
                  Would the Ranch be a good halfway point heading southbound?

                  > Kyle

                • krishna9012
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 17, 2013
                    Last year I paid $180/- to VVR Jim for an arranged ride from Fresno train station to VVR when I did the last 90 miles of my JMT piece (VVR to Onion V). Usually from VVR to Fresno may cost less as vehicles do go for supplies and are willing to give rides for $100/- or less. Remember paying $90/- for VVR to Fresno airport ride in 2011 when I had to abort my JMT thru hike due to not eating properly (first time solo hike when my partner left at Mammoth). Its a good idea to leave JMT, if needed, at VVR rather than at MTR due to transport convenience.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Krishna

                    > Three times in my hiking groups, people have exited from MTR. The Shuttle
                    > Service (that services VVR) can also be arranged to meet at Florence lake,
                    > (about 4 mile walk from MTR), yes it does cost money--I think around $200
                    > to get you from Florence Lake to a nearby town with a bus or airport. One
                    > year, hitchhiking from Florence Lake got the job done. Hitchhikers often
                    > get rides when a car is available with space, as drivers are friendly there
                    > but not as numerous as other places.
                    >
                    > There is a road from MTR to Florence Lake, but it is limited to
                    > MTR-permanently stationed vehicles, and it is a very rough road, requiring
                    > a jeep or jeep-type truck moving very slowly.
                    >
                    > I don't know how much more the cost of the ride is from VVR to a nearby
                    > town versus from Florence Lake to a nearby town. Worth investigating and
                    > reporting back to the group.
                    >
                    > In either case, you have about a 4 mile walk (either from JMT to Florence
                    > Lake Ferry landing, or from MTR to Florence Lake).
                    >
                    > I personally have never exited myself from MTR.

                    > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                    > _
                    >

                    > On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Short answer is no and there are not many options on the west side.
                    > >
                    > > MTR doesn't have a road. You would need to hike to Florence Lake and
                    > > take the ferry across. You may be able to arrange for the VVR shuttle
                    > > to get you from there and take you to Fresno (check their website about
                    > > that).
                    > >
                    > > The better place is to exit VVR, since they do run a shuttle from their
                    > > place to Fresno (check their website for reservations/pricing) and
                    > > sometimes you can arrange for a ride out w/ staff or other guests.
                    > >
                    > > In either case, once you get to Fresno, you can take the train to Merced
                    > > and then YARTS to Yosemite, but it may take a day or two total travel
                    > > time.
                    > >

                    > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Arn wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Are there shuttle services from the Muir Trail Ranch back to Yosemite?
                    > > Would the Ranch be a good halfway point heading southbound?
                    > > >
                    > > > Kyle

                  • ravi_jmt2013
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 17, 2013
                      $180 for VVR to Fresno actually seems quite reasonable compared to the $120 quote I got for a S Lake to N Lake shuttle. I'll be trying out hitchhiking for the first time in July to avoid that $10/mile shuttle!