[John Muir Trail] Re: Couple questions for June hike

  • dittliphoto
    Message 1 of 31 , May 15 9:51 AM
      Yes, depending on how cold one sleeps, a 0° bag is overkill in the Sierra almost anytime!!

      I've had many years of first hand experience trying to make a "light" bag work in shoulder (and winter) seasons in the Sierra. I prefer wearing long undies of some sort to keep the bag clean(er) and to avoid what I feel is a "clammy" feeling of skin against nylon.

      From my experience, wearing thickly insulated clothing (ie. down jacket) inside a sleeping bag makes other parts of your body (ie. legs and feet) colder. I attribute this to the heat from the core (torso) being trapped within the jacket and not warming the air space in the sleeping bag. This could be different if you had similar insulating garments on legs and feet (ie. down pants and booties)

      I have found that actually draping the down jacket outside the bag, or spreading it on top of my entire body between the bag, to be much more effective. Again, this is from several experiences over the years, your results may vary.

      JD
      see book here
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Lauren Egert wrote:

      > My apologies for the last email I just sent! It was intended to go to a friend of mine as we were debating this very issue and the efficacy of down with lots of clothes on (she was of the opinion more clothes between you and the down actually decreased the usefulness of the down) Anyway, I'm so sorry that it got sent to all of you and not my friend!
      >
      > Lauren
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Chris Pratt
      Message 31 of 31 , May 15 12:47 PM
        JD,

        I do something similar when it gets to cold for my bag.  But, instead of draping the jacket over the bag I zip it up and slide it over the foot of the bag, like an oversized sock.  It reaches up around the knee area.  By doing this I don't have issues with the jacket sliding off the top of the bag during the night.  To me it seems that more heat is lost in the bottom part of the bag then the top.

        Warm feet, happy sleep....

        Chris
        On 5/15/2013 11:48 AM, dittliphoto wrote:

        Yes, depending on how cold one sleeps, a 0° bag is overkill in the Sierra almost anytime!!

        I've had many years of first hand experience trying to make a "light" bag work in shoulder (and winter) seasons in the Sierra. I prefer wearing long undies of some sort to keep the bag clean(er) and to avoid what I feel is a "clammy" feeling of skin against nylon.

        From my experience, wearing thickly insulated clothing (ie. down jacket) inside a sleeping bag makes other parts of your body (ie. legs and feet) colder. I attribute this to the heat from the core (torso) being trapped within the jacket and not warming the air space in the sleeping bag.