Weight loss on the JMT

  • George
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2008
      For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was your hike and
      how much weight did you lose?
    • Scott Dowling
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 1, 2008
        My hike was 23 days, Aug. 14 to Sept. 5 and I lost about 5 lbs.
        I only weigh 141 normally and when I got to Lone Pine I was down to 136.
        As you can see I don't have much to loose anyway.
        It was a great trip and a wonderful trail. Loved every minute.

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 1, 2008
          I hiked 16 days this summer, 165 miles (Reds Meadows to Whitney Portal and
          lost 12 pounds (I'm 58), a fellow hiker, Thomas, lost 15 pounds). We met
          someone from Norway or Sweden who did the whole trail and lost 25 pounds.

          On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:04 PM, George <perrito_blanco@...> wrote:

          > For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was your hike and
          > how much weight did you lose?

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 1, 2008
            I've done it eight times now, from 14 to 23 days and it's always about the same��10-12 pounds, mostly in the legs, neck, face, ribs . . . but never the gut, that much.

            sparklefart.blogspot.com

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: perrito_blanco@...
            Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 03:04:26 +0000

            For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was your hike and

            how much weight did you lose?

          • Steve Schauer
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 1, 2008
              I ate very well, and still lost almost 10 lbs.
              Claire

              > For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was
              > your hike and
              > how much weight did you lose?
            • Brian O'Kelly
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 1, 2008
                21 days to hike the whole trail.
                Starting weight was about 175.
                I lost 12 lbs and 3.5% body fat.

                Best way to get in shape ever!

                Brian O'Kelly
                LostHillsGuy

                For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was your hike and

                how much weight did you lose?

              • Reuben Gerber
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 1, 2008
                  I did the trail 2 years ago in Aug. South to North in 9 days. I lost 1.5 pounds per day and consumed between 4000 and 6500 calories per day. Fluid intake was high everyday so I lost a fare bit of fat and muscle.

                  Reuben

                  For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was your hike and
                  how much weight did you lose?

                • Adam Bickett
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
                    That's got to be at least a bit of an exaggeration (that would mean you
                    were burning net over 10,000 calories a day??) I did the trail sobo in
                    August in 9 days. I ate light at about 2300 cal/day, and ended up losing
                    only a few pounds. Maybe there are some benefits to all those heavy packs I
                    saw on the trail!

                    Adam

                  • bcooper67@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
                      I just finished my thru hike this past Monday. 10 days SOBO and lost about 7 lbs; however, I caught a bug and had some intestinal issues on days 3 and 4. I didn't get my appetite back until day 8, at which time it came back with a fury. I was starving! If not for getting sick, i'm not sure I'd have lost much at all.

                      Unfortunately, I was way overweight at the start, since an ankle injury in February. So, losing weight was something I really needed to do, . It just didn't seem to work out enough.

                      My normal race weight is around 173. After eating a Moose burger w/ fries, a big cinnamon roll, part of a pancake, and having a few cups of coffee and a beer at Whitney Portal Monday morning, I only weighed 179.

                      I met a bunch of really nice folks along the trail.
                      I can't remember all of their names, but there was Phreak, Duda Man, No Trace, and Unbreakable to name a few. It was truly a fabulous experience.

                      Turbodog

                      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
                        I took 15 days and lost about 10 pounds. I'm 5'9-1/2" and weighed 184
                        at the start. After three weeks back home I had gained 6 pounds.

                        I took way too much food and really pushed myself to eat most of it.
                        Still I gave a bunch away and left a bunch at MTR. I had packed about
                        3500 calories per day. If I were to repeat the same hike I would pack
                        2500 calories per day for the first week and 3000 for the second.

                        Jim
                      • dave_and_char
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "George" <perrito_blanco@...>
                          wrote:

                          > For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was your hike and
                          > how much weight did you lose?

                          I completed the JMT this summer in 21 days along with Losthillsguy. I
                          lost 17 pounds!
                        • hmdsierra
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
                            My Son and I did it in 25 days. I lost none or very little weight.
                            We cooked meals from scratch, sort of. When my friend took two weeks
                            to do the south half he lost a pound a day but I again lost none or
                            very littlw. My friend was happy to lose the weight and said he
                            needed another week. He started above 239 pounds,

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "George" <perrito_blanco@...> wrote:

                            > For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was your hike and
                            > how much weight did you lose?

                          • sim ong
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
                              I completed JMT from YV to Lone Pine in 17 days.  I loss 10 pounds with my ending weight at 160.  I was never hungry but have food left over when I was done.

                              I am planning to do NOBO next year.  Climbing Mt.Whitney with a full load is going to be tough.

                              > For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was your hike and

                              > how much weight did you lose?

                              I completed the JMT this summer in 21 days along with Losthillsguy. I

                              lost 17 pounds!

                            • Tim Cahalan
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 3, 2008
                                We did it in 13+ days, and I went from 185 to 172.  Maybe getting 1800 calories per day, some days a little more.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 3, 2008
                                  17 days on the trail, but lost almost 14 pounds over the last 7 days
                                  out of MTR. Weight loss that I cannot afford! Was good until MTR...
                                  Didn't carry enough food for those last 7 days (not realizing how
                                  little food can be crammed in a Bearikade Weekender) and was only
                                  eating 2000 to 2500 calories a day. Went from 150 to 136 :p

                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "George" <perrito_blanco@...> wrote:

                                  > For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was your hike and
                                  > how much weight did you lose?

                                • Jennifer
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 6, 2008
                                    14 days on the trail (Tuolumne to Muir Ranch/Florence Lake), lost 2
                                    pounds. But I think some of my fat turned into muscle (which weighs
                                    more), because I was down at least 1/2 a pants size at the end of the
                                    trip. Averaged 2,600 calories/day.

                                    Jennifer Tislerics

                                    > For those of you who've thru hiked the JMT, how long was your hike and
                                    > how much weight did you lose?

                                  • Brian Turner
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 8, 2008
                                      I completed the JMT on 9/24 (finished in the early AM on the 20th
                                      day). I lost roughly 11 pounds and was consuming approximately 2000 -
                                      3500 calories per day.