Re: [John Muir Trail] Cooking Logistics

  • Mina Loomis
    Message 1 of 10 , May 14, 2013
      Chicken in pouches is commonly available in the supermarkets here in Austin. I don't remember what brand, something commonly recognized I think. We tried it on one trip. Tasted like wet cardboard in our wraps.

      The freeze-dried chicken from Packitgourmet.com is quite good.

      Mina
      JMT sections 2011 and 2012

      On May 14, 2013, at 6:03 PM, jyeider <jyeider@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone ever found chichen in those foil pouches like albacore comes in?
      > Jeffery

    • Dale Stuart
      Message 2 of 10 , May 14, 2013
        the secret ingredient is Nido (dehydrated whole milk).  The fat content helps it work.
        -Dale

        Message 3 of 10 , May 16, 2013
          Ravi, I use a shaker bottle to make protein shakes http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Blender-Bottle-Protein-Fitness/dp/B008RYNBFW/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1368750518&sr=1-4&keywords=shaker+bottles and may take one on the JMT. The stainless steel blender ball acts like a wisk. Rod

          Message 4 of 10 , May 16, 2013
            Jeffery, here's chicken in a pouch: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_0_18?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=chicken+in+a+pouch&sprefix=chicken+in+a+pouch%2Csporting%2C127 . Rod