Fwd: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Cooking Logistics

  • jyeider
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2013
      Thanks Bill
      Sometimes I just get a hankering that lasts for days for real meat.
      Jeffery

      From: jyeider <jyeider@...>
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Fwd: [John Muir Trail] Re: Cooking Logistics

      Ravi
      Also try white chocolate, or the cheesecake mix with fruit, nuts, or granola.
      Jeffery

      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2013

        "I've tried a few of the instant Jello puddings and each time I end up with something that is the consistency of soup... I think that the directions to whisk the pudding is what I'm missing (hard to do while camping). Or should less water be used when preparing pudding on the trail?"

        Are you adding any dairy products?  I think the ingredient that makes the instant pudding congeal doesn't work without the milk.  Won't work with soy or almond milk or plain water.

      • jyeider
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2013
          Nonfat dried milk powder, pudding mix COLD water, fruits nuts spices. Then shake it hard for 1-2 mins.
          That's all it takes.  Enjoy
          Jeffery

          "I've tried a few of the instant Jello puddings and each time I end up with something that is the consistency of soup... I think that the directions to whisk the pudding is what I'm missing (hard to do while camping). Or should less water be used when preparing pudding on the trail?"

          Are you adding any dairy products?  I think the ingredient that makes the instant pudding congeal doesn't work without the milk.  Won't work with soy or almond milk or plain water.

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2013
            Jeffery, do you think it would work as well with Nido powdered milk instead of the non-fat? Nido retains the milk fat properties that I like to have while on the trail, and I was wondering if you have experimented with other variations and maybe save me a little trouble : ) !

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, jyeider <jyeider@...> wrote:

            > Nonfat dried milk powder, pudding mix COLD water, fruits nuts spices. Then shake it hard for 1-2 mins.
            > That's all it takes.  Enjoy
            > Jeffery
            >

            > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

          • Byron Nevins
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2013
              I stirred with my spork vigorously for 2 minutes and it "puddinged-up" just fine.  This stuff is sustainable night after night.  Delicious!

              I recommend using Nido (dried *whole* milk) instead of the nonfat variety.

            • jyeider
              Message 6 of 7 , May 15, 2013
                I've not used nido. It would make it taste better and be creamier, higher in calories and fat. Cold water and shaken no stirred is the key with whole or nonfat or any milk inbetween. Enjoy
                Jeffery

                Message 7 of 7 , May 15, 2013
                  Well, Mr. Bond, I'll have to try the shaken, not stirred, method!