Fwd: [John Muir Trail] Re: Cooking Logistics

  • jyeider
    Message 1 of 10 , May 14 2:32 PM
      Pistachio jello instant pudding is so tasty and soothing. Nf dried milk powder,  cold water,  mix, freeze dried fruit or dehydrated,  shake it up and yum, plus loaded with calcium and protien.
      My favorite for 40 years. Its a good bfast too. Other pudding mix flavors too.
      Jeffery

      Message 2 of 10 , May 14 3:25 PM
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, jyeider <jyeider@...> wrote:

        > Pistachio jello instant pudding is so tasty and soothing. Nf dried milk powder,  cold water,  mix, freeze dried fruit or dehydrated,  shake it up and yum, plus loaded with calcium and protien.

        I've tried a few of the instant Jello puddings and each time I end up with something that is the consistency of soup... I think that the directions to whisk the pudding is what I'm missing (hard to do while camping). Or should less water be used when preparing pudding on the trail?
      • jyeider
        Message 3 of 10 , May 14 3:34 PM
          The key to thick instant pudding is COLD water and more nf milk powder. SHAKE not whisk. Enjoy
          Jeffery

          Message 4 of 10 , May 14 3:38 PM
            Ravi
            Also try white chocolate, or the cheesecake mix with fruit, nuts, or granola.
            Jeffery

            Message 5 of 10 , May 14 4:03 PM
              Food on the trail
              Me and "the little one" always carry a no weight dehydrated bag mix of corn, bell pepper, onion, hot peppers, tomatoes and other flavor foods. Raw spicy peppers, liquid smoke, powdered cheeses, powder worstichire, onion, garlic and cyanne. We eat a lot of mashed taters. We love powdered hummis with red pepper flakes, parmisian green peppers with flavored flour tortillas for lunch. Humis powder, spices, vegies and water squeezed up in a bag and layed to rest for awhile. Solid tasty fullfilling. Light weight and easy.
              Has anyone ever found chichen in those foil pouches like albacore comes in?
              Jeffery

              Also try white chocolate, or the cheesecake mix with fruit, nuts, or granola.
              Jeffery

              > Pistachio jello instant pudding is so tasty and soothing. Nf dried milk powder,  cold water,  mix, freeze dried fruit or dehydrated,  shake it up and yum, plus loaded with calcium and protien.

              I've tried a few of the instant Jello puddings and each time I end up with something that is the consistency of soup... I think that the directions to whisk the pudding is what I'm missing (hard to do while camping). Or should less water be used when preparing pudding on the trail?

            • Bill Hegardt

                Also try white chocolate, or the cheesecake mix with fruit, nuts, or granola.
                Jeffery

                > Pistachio jello instant pudding is so tasty and soothing. Nf dried milk powder,  cold water,  mix, freeze dried fruit or dehydrated,  shake it up and yum, plus loaded with calcium and protien.

                I've tried a few of the instant Jello puddings and each time I end up with something that is the consistency of soup... I think that the directions to whisk the pudding is what I'm missing (hard to do while camping). Or should less water be used when preparing pudding on the trail?

              • Mina Loomis
                Message 7 of 10 , May 14 4:47 PM
                  Chicken in pouches is commonly available in the supermarkets here in Austin. I don't remember what brand, something commonly recognized I think. We tried it on one trip. Tasted like wet cardboard in our wraps.

                  The freeze-dried chicken from Packitgourmet.com is quite good.

                  Mina
                  JMT sections 2011 and 2012

                  On May 14, 2013, at 6:03 PM, jyeider <jyeider@...> wrote:

                  > Has anyone ever found chichen in those foil pouches like albacore comes in?
                  > Jeffery

                • Dale Stuart
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 14 11:43 PM
                    the secret ingredient is Nido (dehydrated whole milk).  The fat content helps it work.
                    -Dale

                    > Pistachio jello instant pudding is so tasty and soothing. Nf dried milk powder,  cold water,  mix, freeze dried fruit or dehydrated,  shake it up and yum, plus loaded with calcium and protien.

                    I've tried a few of the instant Jello puddings and each time I end up with something that is the consistency of soup... I think that the directions to whisk the pudding is what I'm missing (hard to do while camping). Or should less water be used when preparing pudding on the trail?

                  • woodyrtt
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 16 5:32 PM
                      Ravi, I use a shaker bottle to make protein shakes http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Blender-Bottle-Protein-Fitness/dp/B008RYNBFW/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1368750518&sr=1-4&keywords=shaker+bottles and may take one on the JMT. The stainless steel blender ball acts like a wisk. Rod

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 16 5:35 PM
                        Jeffery, here's chicken in a pouch: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_0_18?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=chicken+in+a+pouch&sprefix=chicken+in+a+pouch%2Csporting%2C127 . Rod