[John Muir Trail] Re: Couple questions for June hike

  • avnieves
    Message 1 of 31 , May 14, 2013
      Hey Bob,
      1. A 25 degree bag is plenty warm. Thermals are really nice to put on at the end of the day. They keep you dry in the bag. Temps vary quite a bit but if you prepare for 30 degrees at night, and if you're ready for temps between 50 degrees low and 90 degrees high during the day, you'll be fine.
      2. I always re-bag all my food into ziplocks. I take care to squeeze out the air and make the bag very flat. This helps me make most use of my precious bear can space. Re-bagged food should last you months.
      3. If it smells, can it. That's a rule I follow. However, on a side note, I never see bears in the back country. I'm starting to think they're mythological beasts. But seriously, bear can discipline must be reducing the bear problems for back-country hikers. Bears just ain't finding food as easily as they did in the old tree bagging days (what a nightmare that was). So put it in the can... grosser in thought than in practice.
      Well have fun and good luck Bob.

      -Andrew

      > Dan, with a zero degree bag you'll be plenty warm, but sleeping in just shorts might get a little sticky and dirty. Good idea to have a very light pair of poly or silk long johns and some socks--at least this works for me.
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On May 13, 2013, at 9:55 PM, "Dan" <shortys7777@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Thanks guys. I have a 0 degree bag at my parents house on the east coast. Might have them send it out just to be comfortable and sleep in shorts.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <shortys7777@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've been reading here for the past few weeks and had a few questions I could not find answers too.
      > > >
      > > > 1. What are the temps like at night around9/10,000 feet? My bag is 25 degree and I will be bringing thermals with me too for sleeping.
      > > >
      > > > 2. I got some dehydrated food for some dinners on the trail and I was wondering if I could possibly take the food out, pack it in a smaller plastic bag and just put it right in my cooking pot with the lid on for the 10-12 minutes it says to close the bag. How long can the food stay fresh once the seal is broken? They will be eaten within a week on the trail then again after re supply.
      > > >
      > > > 3. Where do you put your use toilet paper and or wipes if you use them? Are bears attracted to the sent of baby wipes? What about ointments and such that are in your first aid kit? do these need to go in your bear canister? I know toothpaste, deodorant, soap, etc. go in there.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Dan

    • Chris Pratt
      Message 31 of 31 , May 15, 2013
        JD,

        I do something similar when it gets to cold for my bag.  But, instead of draping the jacket over the bag I zip it up and slide it over the foot of the bag, like an oversized sock.  It reaches up around the knee area.  By doing this I don't have issues with the jacket sliding off the top of the bag during the night.  To me it seems that more heat is lost in the bottom part of the bag then the top.

        Warm feet, happy sleep....

        Chris
        On 5/15/2013 11:48 AM, dittliphoto wrote:

        Yes, depending on how cold one sleeps, a 0° bag is overkill in the Sierra almost anytime!!

        I've had many years of first hand experience trying to make a "light" bag work in shoulder (and winter) seasons in the Sierra. I prefer wearing long undies of some sort to keep the bag clean(er) and to avoid what I feel is a "clammy" feeling of skin against nylon.

        From my experience, wearing thickly insulated clothing (ie. down jacket) inside a sleeping bag makes other parts of your body (ie. legs and feet) colder. I attribute this to the heat from the core (torso) being trapped within the jacket and not warming the air space in the sleeping bag.

        I have found that actually draping the down jacket outside the bag, or spreading it on top of my entire body between the bag, to be much more effective. Again, this is from several experiences over the years, your results may vary.

        JD
        see book here