Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Why I'm taking a 2.1 oz dog bowl on my JMT (read this, you may want one too)

    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2013
      Make sure you get the medium not the small. Rei gives you these 2 choices. I have the medium. I don't think a large exists btw.

      Sent from my iPhone
      See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
      http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

      On May 13, 2013, at 7:11 PM, "sanfran_rwood" <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

      > After trying out substitutes for the below for the last several years, I've
      > decided this is a far better solution.
      >
      > The Ruffwear Bivy Bowl, Medium, holds a gallon of water (listed capacity is
      > 51 oz but you can put a gallon of water in it, but it's only 3/4th of an
      > inch from the top at that point). It only weighs 2.1 oz.

      Nice! I note that these are available at REI [http://www.rei.com/product/796348/ruffwear-bivy-pet-bowl or http://bit.ly/14ilx7U], so I plan on dropping by my local store and taking a look. And, of course, you can return it if you have a leak with a unit you purchase at REI or just don't like it for any reason. A comparison (REI's data) shows that this compares nicely to the Sea-to-Summit camp sinks.

    • brucelem12
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013

        Great suggestion re the Ruffwear bowl Roleigh! As someone who often goes w/out any bowl/cup/etc, this proved to be an excellent light/convenient bowl when I wanted a little something beyond Ziploc eating for a longer hike. Thanks for the tip!!

        Bruce

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <marti124@...> wrote:

        Make sure you get the medium not the small. Rei gives you these 2 choices. I have the medium. I don't think a large exists btw.

        Sent from my iPhone
        See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
        http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

        On May 13, 2013, at 7:11 PM, "sanfran_rwood" <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

        > After trying out substitutes for the below for the last several years, I've
        > decided this is a far better solution.
        >
        > The Ruffwear Bivy Bowl, Medium, holds a gallon of water (listed capacity is
        > 51 oz but you can put a gallon of water in it, but it's only 3/4th of an
        > inch from the top at that point). It only weighs 2.1 oz.

        Nice! I note that these are available at REI [http://www.rei.com/product/796348/ruffwear-bivy-pet-bowl or http://bit.ly/14ilx7U], so I plan on dropping by my local store and taking a look. And, of course, you can return it if you have a leak with a unit you purchase at REI or just don't like it for any reason. A comparison (REI's data) shows that this compares nicely to the Sea-to-Summit camp sinks.

      • trailnameskyking
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2014
          Hi Roleigh,

          I like the ideas in this post (particularly the soap_.  Could you clarify a couple of points?
          1) Does the soap work well on your skin?  It's not too harsh?
          2) What is your typical baseweight, carrying these items in the summer on the JMT?

          Thank you,

          Chris/Sky King
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2014
            Chris,

            the Water Treatment PDF lists all of these items with individual weights.

            The soap is super gentle.  I typically find I will use 3-4 rain drops per use but a 1 oz container covers the entire hike.

            I of course follow the LNT protocol and don't get any of the soap in the streams or lakes.

            Roleigh

            _

            On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 3:39 PM, trailnameskyking <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Hi Roleigh,

            I like the ideas in this post (particularly the soap_.  Could you clarify a couple of points?
            1) Does the soap work well on your skin?  It's not too harsh?
            2) What is your typical baseweight, carrying these items in the summer on the JMT?

            Thank you,

            Chris/Sky King

          • tamirph
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2014
              This bowl is one of my 'so glad I brought' items...I followed Roleigh's advice on the towels also.  The dog bowl came in handy EVERY single day!
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2014
                Thanks for the compliment!  I see in my notes, in this thread, I mentioned I took 2 ounces of soap but later said 1 oz would work, I truly forget what really is what is needed, it is between 1 oz or between 1 oz and 2 oz.  I can't remember how much soap got discarded at MTR.  I had a 1 oz container waiting for me there.

                I'll try and be more observant this year.

                Roleigh

                _

                On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 11:04 PM, <tamirph@...> wrote:

                This bowl is one of my 'so glad I brought' items...I followed Roleigh's advice on the towels also.  The dog bowl came in handy EVERY single day!

              • mjboucher2
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10, 2014
                  I've seen others use the dog bowls. What I've done is cut the bottom off of a gallon milk jug short enough that I could fold it flat. I've never measured how much it could hold, but it is tough, cheap ($0), and I just recycle it at the end of the trip. Have to say I've not used is for sponge baths as much as washing out socks, etc. to keep soap out of the streams.