Fwd: [John Muir Trail] Cooking Logistics

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2013

      Sent from my iPhone

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>
      Date: May 12, 2013, 2:39:43 PM PDT
      To: "johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Cooking Logistics

      Darryl,

      While there's a whole camp of people out there, emptying their freeze-http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=g-rWNAQx1ZE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dg-rWNAQx1ZEdried from one piece of plastic garbage to another. . . Yes, you might gain a little more room I'm the can, using a zip-lock, .... Isn't typing on a phone on a busy bus, fun !!
      .....I've found it easy enough to cram 8 or 9 meals in by just tearing off the tab, putting a pin home in the top of the pouch and rolling out as much air as you can.

      Just be sure to put that hole in the top of the bag.

      Save some plastic, which mostly gets burned at the VVR and takes a lot of work and hassle to pack out of the MTR.....and then again, I know how much fun all the packing/ reps king can be ... Enjoy the process and find what works for ya.

      P.s. can't get rid of that video that I somehow pasted in there-- hope its good, but not too good. What could it be!!

      Bob

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 12, 2013, at 1:45 PM, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

      I would appreciate some advice with cooking logistics. I plan on using my Jetboil stove and Mountain High freeze dried meals for most of my evening dinners. The information I've read in the JMT group is that I should repackage the freeze dried food in ziplock plastic bags. I am considering purchasing the Packit Gourmet Cook-in-Bags http://www.packitgourmet.com/CookIn-Bags.html and Original Cook-in-Cosy http://www.packitgourmet.com/Cook-In-Cozy.html
      If I go that route do I purchase a Cook-in-Bag for each Mountain High meal and accumulate them until I can dispose of them, or reuse them in which case I would have the hassles of transferring the food from a  Ziplock bag into a Cook-in-Bag. Or should I pack each meal in a quart size Ziplock and pour the boiling water into the same bag and eat out of it. I would appreciate some direction for sensible logistics. Thanks

      Darryl