Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: First Aid Kit (Don't Cut!)

    Message 1 of 54 , May 11, 2013
      Link to the (free) Anderson First Aid guide is

      On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Gail <forgetwho@...> wrote:
       -
      In "The Thru-Hiker's Medical Guide" by Stewart Anderson, MD (sorry I don't have the link handy - I have the article saved to my computer), he says not to use ice. Here's his whole section on snake bites:
    • renatotodesco
      Message 54 of 54 , Jul 31
        Hello
        Please if is not too much trouble can you post a link of where to get a copy of the Wilderness Medicine Quick reference

        Thx

        Renato

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 31, 2015, at 05:56, kentwood39@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        The most important first aid item you can possibly bring is knowledge - the stuff between your ears.  First thing you should do is enroll in a wilderness first aid course.  Read as much as you can about how to deal with various situations in the field, signs to look for, when to evacuate, when you can stay put and monitor it, what is a real emergency and what is not.  I've had military training in this sort of thing, dealing with trauma, shock, stopping the bleeding, etc., but a wilderness first aid course every couple of years is a great way to refresh my memory, run through some practical skills exercises, and refocus my attention on the types of conditions I'm most likely to encounter.  A lot of backpackers tend to focus on supplies instead of knowledge - that's completely backwards.  If you have knowledge, you can improvise what you need in many cases, and you'll know instinctively what supplies you really need.

        The second most important thing to bring is the skills to improvise what you need from items you already have; i.e., shirts, pants, belts, hiking sticks as splints, etc.  For example, you don't need to lug along a SAM splint if you know how to use items at hand to create one.

        The third most important thing to bring is a basic kit that will help deal with minor cuts/abrasions/pain, wound management (cleaning & bandaging), and so forth.  If you buy a kit, use it as the foundation for a homemade kit, because nothing you buy will have everything you need and nothing you don't.  My usual first aid kit weighs 8-9 oz, but that includes my fire starter kit, spare lighter, spare light, etc., so my kit is really a first aid/emergency kit.  It is sufficient for the types of situations I'm most likely to encounter on a trail, but is by no means intended to address every situation I might encounter on a trail (I would take a much different kit if I was going on a more remote/more demanding trip than the JMT).  It has a variety of bandages including some air-permeable bandages of different sizes, benzoine tincture, gloves, small syringe (for irrigation of wounds), alcohol swabs, tape, tylenol/ibuprofen, assorted other meds (immodium, etc.) and a laminated quick-reference guide from Wilderness Medicine Institute.

        As I said, this type of kit (with training) is sufficient for a trail like the JMT.  A trip to the remote wilds of Alaska or Montana, with few or no trails, in inclement weather, is another story.  For that, my first aid/emergency kit would look quite a bit different, because I'd be expecting to either have to walk out for help, or hole up for a few days awaiting assistance.

        Goat