Re: ways to search for equipment at the best price

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2013
      This applies mainly to new gear but I found that using Google Shopping can be a great way to find lower prices from vendors that I never heard of before. This tends to work better for gear that has only a few variations such as sleeping bags, pads, and tents and less well for clothing which has many different sizes. I found that when I run searches for clothing, I would get some cheap prices but then realize that the low price was only for very odd sizes and/or colors. Still, I was able to find great deals on a few smart wool items and probably saved at least $100 on my sleeping bag.

      While I normally will opt for the lowest available price, it does make sense to stick with REI for items that could require a return. Many other vendors also advertise "no questions asked" return policies but REI really is the gold standard when it comes to returns particularly if you have a local REI nearby.