Re: Concerns about a dry Sept hike

  • casey
    Message 1 of 11 , May 10, 2013
      I drove back over Sonora Pass,9,600+ feet, last Saturday on my way back from a trip into the Hoover Wilderness. People were cross country skiing the P.C.T. and lower on the west side of the Pass at 9,000 ft. lots of people were snowmobiling. On Monday Sonora Pass was closed due to fresh snow and ice, was still closed on Wednesday when I left. Just spent the last two nights along the north border of Yosemite at about 7,000 feet. Had thunderstorms with rain/hail both Wednesday and Thursday, pretty sure there was fresh snow higher.

      The Forest Service has only now began plowing the road to Reds Meadow and hopes to have it open by Memorial Day. There must be some snow left somewhere. Parks service doesn't expect to open Tioga Pass, 9,960 feet, until 5-11. Typically when they open the pass there is still 3 feet plus/minus of snow at the pass level. Certainly wouldn't count on going over any of the higher passes quite yet without any snow problems.