Re: Best sites to buy second-hand equipment

  • sanfran_rwood
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2013
      I used Gear Trader (geartrade.com) to get a backpack several years ago, and it worked out great.

      I've never used backpackerlight, so can't comment, but I have no reason to think the folks in that community aren't your ideal exchange partners. If you aren't a member, the forums are a bit awkward to use, since you can't search them separately from articles (as far as I can tell).

      But I'd tend towards REI used gear sales first, primarily because you can get your hands on them, sniff 'em, and check details.

      Then I'd probably go with ebay if the seller has a really good rating and a large number of photos and plenty of descriptive text.

      Craigslist might give good photos and description, and if you insist you have a good chance of doing an inspection before handing over money, so that makes it pretty safe.

      Which puts geartrade.com at the bottom of the list â€" but there isn't a big enough secondary market to be too choosy. If the specs on your desired tent are narrow enough, you might not be able to pick which forum you find anything in.
      --
      Richard