powdered drink storage

  • trconroy1446
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2008
      When carrying powdered drinks [spiced cider, cocoa, powdered milk, etc.] in a Zip-Loc or
      other zip-style bags, we always run into the same problem after a few days: the "zip" won't
      securely close due to the powdered drink mix getting into the seam. Double-bagging is a
      help but a pain.

      Are there any screw-close bags that might solve this problem -- like a lighter version of a
      0.5L Platypus? What do others do about this [besides "grin & bear it"]?

      Thank you!

      TR
    • sim ong
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2008
        Hi, Try carrying individually wrapped powered drinks.  I had the same problem with my Tang and powered milk.  One solutions that I can come up with, an idea for my next trip, is to carry a few rubber bands.  Use rubber bands when the zipper failed.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2008
          Many thanks, Sim.

          Thomas R. Conroy
          trconroy@...

        • taterno@cox.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2008
            I bring Emergen-C. Each serving comes in its own small packet, so there is no issue with leaky zip lock seals.

            I did bring hammer Perpetum (sp) in a zip lock, and had the same issue as you. In the future, I will pour the powder into a used soda bottle. It doesn't weigh that much, and I can be assured of a good and tight seal.

            The Incredible Bulk

            ---- trconroy1446 <trconroy@...> wrote:

            =============
            When carrying powdered drinks [spiced cider, cocoa, powdered milk, etc.] in a Zip-Loc or
            other zip-style bags, we always run into the same problem after a few days: the "zip" won't
            securely close due to the powdered drink mix getting into the seam. Double-bagging is a
            help but a pain.

            Are there any screw-close bags that might solve this problem -- like a lighter version of a
            0.5L Platypus? What do others do about this [besides "grin & bear it"]?

            Thank you!

            TR
          • Kurt Herzog
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2008
              >>the "zip" won't securely close due to the
              >>powdered drink mix getting into the seam<<

              Platypus makes a 1-liter bag that might work. You
              might also try one of those refillable plastic
              "toothpaste" tubes.. I think Stansport &
              Coughlan's make them.

              The classic method for powdered milk comes from
              "The Compleat Walker" (Colin Fletcher): use a
              restaurant-style catsup or mustard "squirter".

              My prefered method for instant coffee is to use a
              small plastic jar that I can spoon out of, or pour
              from. I refill it from ziplock "snack bags",
              adding the entire contents of the bag to the jar
              at one time. The jar holds about a 3-day supply
              (for me) as does the ziplock.

              . . . Kurt

              Kurt P. Herzog
              Grants Pass, Oregon
            • Jesse Glover
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2008
                Hi new here but how about a non zipper sandwich baggie with a twist tie and put that inside your ziplock.

                > On Sep 12, 2008, at 11:47 AM, sim ong wrote:
                >
                > > Hi, Try carrying individually wrapped powered drinks.
                > I had the
                > > same problem with my Tang and powered milk. One
                > solutions that I
                > > can come up with, an idea for my next trip, is to
                > carry a few rubber
                > > bands. Use rubber bands when the zipper failed.
                > >
                > > --- On Fri, 9/12/08, trconroy1446
                > <trconroy@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > From: trconroy1446 <trconroy@...>
                > > Subject: [John Muir Trail] powdered drink storage
                > > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                > > Date: Friday, September 12, 2008, 11:14 AM
                > >
                > > When carrying powdered drinks [spiced cider, cocoa,
                > powdered milk,
                > > etc.] in a Zip-Loc or
                > > other zip-style bags, we always run into the same
                > problem after a
                > > few days: the "zip" won't
                > > securely close due to the powdered drink mix getting
                > into the seam.
                > > Double-bagging is a
                > > help but a pain.
                > >
                > > Are there any screw-close bags that might solve this
                > problem -- like
                > > a lighter version of a
                > > 0.5L Platypus? What do others do about this [besides
                > "grin & bear
                > > it"]?
                > >
                > > Thank you!
                > >
                > > TR

              • Thomas R. Conroy
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 13, 2008
                  Thank you, Kurt. Great ideas.

                  Thomas R. Conroy
                  trconroy@...

                  On Sep 13, 2008, at 10:22 AM, Kurt Herzog wrote:

                  >>> the "zip" won't securely close due to the
                  >>> powdered drink mix getting into the seam<<
                  >
                  > Platypus makes a 1-liter bag that might work. You
                  > might also try one of those refillable plastic
                  > "toothpaste" tubes.. I think Stansport &
                  > Coughlan's make them.
                  >
                  > The classic method for powdered milk comes from
                  > "The Compleat Walker" (Colin Fletcher): use a
                  > restaurant-style catsup or mustard "squirter".
                  >
                  > My prefered method for instant coffee is to use a
                  > small plastic jar that I can spoon out of, or pour
                  > from. I refill it from ziplock "snack bags",
                  > adding the entire contents of the bag to the jar
                  > at one time. The jar holds about a 3-day supply
                  > (for me) as does the ziplock.
                  >
                  > . . . Kurt
                  >
                  > Kurt P. Herzog
                  > Grants Pass, Oregon

                • paul ahonen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 13, 2008
                    I go to the dollar store and but the assorted zip bags or you could go to a hobby place that would different size bags.  Then you could put a servining in each little baggie and be done with it.  no need to re seal and reseal