RE: North Lake South Lake Loop

  • Marion Davison
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2013
      I did this hike as a complete loop in 2002. 2 people, 3 llamas.
      Shuttling and hitchhiking are awkward when you have one stock rig, two
      people and a string of llamas that have to be babysat during the
      process. So we parked at Tyee Lakes trailhead, hiked over Table
      Mountain and past George Lakes down to Lake Sabrina. Then we (dirt)road
      walked to North Lake and started hiking the loop around, over Piute
      Pass, down to the PCT, over Muir Pass, over Bishop Pass and down to
      South Lake. Then we road walked back to Tyee Lakes.
      This was a stunningly beautiful trip and one of my absolute favorites.
      We had quite a hassle in the ranger station in Bishop trying to get a
      walk-up permit. Our plan seemed to violate several rules for the way
      permits are issued. I stood my ground and didn't give up and was
      finally issued a permit after more than an hour of haggling. That was
      then, maybe they have this mind-boggling plan figured out by now.