Re: Very cheap MP3 player - Irulu

    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2013
      I gave a preliminary review several months ago to this very cheap 8 GB MP3/WMA player. I have now been using it for several months and once I got over the klutzy interface (described in my earlier posts) it has worked quite well. Uses lithium AAA batteries (the non-rechargeable kind) and judging from my experience, one battery would last you the whole trip. Price has gone up moderately (to all of $12.66 including shipping) since my original posts. They seem to have run out of all colors except Blue, so I suspect they won't be around for long.

      The digital audio world has gone to rechargeable batteries almost entirely and players that are unifunction and running off replaceable batteries are getting hard to find. If you just need music or audiobooks on the trial, you might try this (if you can tolerate the very bad interface). That way you don't have to worry about bringing along a recharger.

      John ladd

      On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      If all you need is a AAA-powered MP3 player to listen to audiobooks or music, and are willing to put up with a minimal device with the world's worst user manual (and somewhat non-intuitive interface) the 8GB sub-$12 Irulu MP3 player (see link below) is functional.

      Advantages

      under $12 incl shipping
      8GB is way more capacity than you can ever think of using (about 400 hours of audio)
      Can be set so the backlight is red, which will maintain your night vision when you use it after dark
      Sound quality is surprisingly good, at least for audiobooks
      Can be used for voice recording, so you could use it to keep a daily journal
      You can load music do the device with Windows Media Player synch function or create a Music folder on the device in Windows explorer and by just drag-and-drop folders of audio files into it.

      Disadvantages

      Very cheap construction, not sure how long it will last
      The User Manual must have been translated by someone who didn't know English. Example: "We heartfelt wish it will bring you a transcendental enjoyment in the digital time" OR "This MP3 player adopt 9 step of power to supervise". I guess I understand the first one. But no clue on the second quote.
      Very small screen, but adequate for settings and seeing what you are listening to
      Non-intuitive interface. You will spend some time trying to guess what the Manual is telling you to do. But if all you do is play music or audiobooks on it, not that bad

      Unknown:

      Battery life on one Lithium AAA battery should be very long, based on my experience with similar devices, but I haven't owned it long enough to say.

      On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      There are still a few AAA-battery powered MP3 players out there that weigh almost nothing and eliminate recharging problems (at most, on a JMT hike, you'd need one spare AAA battery). I load mine with some audio books I enjoy listening to as I fall asleep. I also put on a little upbeat music and if I'm starting to get draggy on the trail, the music peps me up.

      I've used the Rio Sansa line of AAA-powered MP3 players for years, but I don't think they are available anymore

      The iRulu MP3 player looks similar, though I can's say anything about quality. But it does (apparently) allow you to play MP3 and WMA audio files (and other formats) using only one AAA battery. It holds 8GB.  It doubles as a 8GB thumb drive when you don't need to store music.

      http://www.irulu.net/10-lcd-tft-screen-more/mp3-players/63976.html

      Only $11.50 with free shipping. Given the price, I just ordered one (it has higher capacity than my existing Sansa which was starting to perform erratically) and will review it after I've given it a try.

      Obviously, there's lots of things (like maps) that doesn't even claim to handle. And even if it's a very low-end device, it may meet your electronics needs if mostly what you want is audiobooks and music without many complications.

      On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:

      Is anyone tempted to carry the iPad Mini on the trail this year? At 11 ounces, it may be getting into a weight range that is reasonable given that it can offset 3-4 ounces for pages from the Wenk guidebook, a few ounces for a paperback for general reading, and a few ounces for a journal/pen. The trick, of course, is finding a solar recharging solution that isn't too heavy since the Mini's battery life isn't going to be enough to last between resupply locations.

      I own a full size iPad (way too heavy to even think about taking) and a Kindle 3 (8.7 ounces). The advantage of taking the Kindle is that no recharging will be needed and I already own it. It could be used for everything mentioned above other than a trail journal but would probably not save any weight at all so I'm leaning against taking it.