Re: Why I'm taking my iPhone and a Solar Charger

  • judy
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2013
      Hi - I've posted about this before (message 29700), but I've used a similar charging device for several 10-14 day trips very successfully. I use the iPhone as a camera, video recorder, and e-reader, and rarely for phone or email (never have done audio books). I also make pdf files of maps, guides, contact info etc. The solar device I use weighs 3.2 oz and has a 1500 mAh battery. It charges at about 120 milliamps per hour in full sun. Interestingly the iPhone 4 seems to use about 125-175 milliamps per hour no matter what you are using it for and has a 1420 mAh battery. I have been able to keep both the charger battery and the iPhone battery pretty much fully charged even on two week trips with many cloudy/rainy days. I have found this to be a consider weigh savings over having a camera and/or video recorder and book(s) to read.