Backcountry Navigator App - is the Acuterra upgrade worth it?

  • gracec816
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2013
      I recently downloaded Backcountry Navigator and played with it last weekend during a hike up Mount Baldy (via the ski hut trail) in the Angeles National Forest. For those of you not familiar with the area, the ski hut trail is an incredibly heavily traveled and popular trail.

      I was using the free USGS topo maps that Backcountry Navigator lets you load, and imagine my surprise when I found that part of the ski hut trail wasn't showing up on my app because the one USGS map that covered that part of the trail didn't have the little dotted trail line on it. I know that this lack of continuity is a common problem with the USGS maps, but when I found that even a trail as popular as the ski hut trail wasn't on all of the maps, I was pretty surprised.

      Enter a possible solution -- Backcountry Navigator offers an upgrade for $25 to Accuterra topo maps. These maps claim to provide consistent shading and trails, but my question to those who have used them is are Accuterra maps worth it? Do they have a good number of trails on them? Are they accurate (one can only hope, given the name)? Is there sufficient detail? I would hate to spend money on the Accuterra upgrade and find out that all they've done is standardize the shading on the USGS maps but not dealt with the "disappearing trail" problem.

      Thanks!