Re: [John Muir Trail] Completed the JMT on Friday

  • matt
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 8, 2008
      Hi Rich,

      I am leaving to do the trail at the end of the month and I am
      curious if any of the indicated water sources are dried up. Thanks
      for the trip report.

      Matt

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richfax <richfax@...> wrote:

      > Hello Tom,
      >
      > It was just me and my hiking buddy Tim.  I think the only other
      SOBO hiker we saw on day one was a guy named Allen from Houston.  He
      was having some tent issues and had to find help at Reds.

      > Rich

      Tuolumne?

      > I was on the trail sobo from Tuolumne. Exited at Reds, then got
      back
      > on at Cottonwood Pass and exited at Kennedy Meadows.
      >
      > Tom
      > The Incredible Bulk
      >
      > On Sep 8, 2008, at 7:37 PM, richfax wrote:
      >
      > > Just completed the JMT southbound this Friday and wanted to give a
      > > trip report. We completed the trip from Tuolumne to Whitney Portal
      > > in 12.5 days with one resupply at Muir Trail Ranch. We averaged
      15+
      > > miles per day which was primarily due to our ultralight packs and
      > > trail running shoes. My total starting pack weight with all gear,
      > > food, and 1 liter of water was 21 pounds. Weather was mostly sunny
      > > and it did not rain, although the temperature dropped below
      freezing
      > > one night (the water in my Platypus was frozen). Only one ranger
      > > ever crossed our paths and checked our permit and that was in
      > > Tuolumne valley on day one. Our bug spray was never used as we
      only
      > > encountered a couple of mosquitoes the entire trip. We never saw a
      > > bear or bear track and no bears ever messed with our BearVaults.
      The
      > > trail from Simpson Meadow to Tehipite Valley was closed due to a
      fire
      > > but this did not affect the JMT. We smelled significant smoke in
      the
      > > valley from this fire. We encountered several entertaining
      > > characters on the trail, from the guy at MTR that quit his job and
      > > moved to the woods to the lady on the 12 day loop hike in her flip
      > > flops. We ran into a couple of girls that were just out peak
      bagging
      > > for four days and a trail runner that was going 58 miles in one
      day.
      > > We ran into no less than three couples from the UK. We talked to a
      > > group of six folks performing trail maintenance for the NPS. They
      > > worked in the backcountry for three months straight and were
      > > resupplied by helicopter every Thursday. Horse poop littered the
      > > dusty trail from start to end. There was about 8 buckets of
      > > discarded food at Muir Trail Ranch left behind by hikers which
      packed
      > > too much food. I've never seen so many unwanted Cliff bars, sacks
      of
      > > beef jerky and bags of beans and rice. Another three buckets
      > > contained supplies such as TP, large cans of bug spray, wet wipes,
      > > hundreds of tampons, etc. You realize very quickly that you don't
      > > need tons of food and equipment especially when you have to carry
      it
      > > up 46,000 feet of ascent and 38,000 feet of descent on your back.
      > >
      > > My best gear purchase, hands down, was the 2 oz Aquamira Frontier
      Pro
      > > water filter rated at 99.9% for crypto and giardia. To use this
      > > filter just dip your Platy into the stream, screw on the filter
      and
      > > suck through it like a straw. It takes about 5 seconds to do. I
      > > will never go back to a pump filter or Chlorine Dioxide tablets.
      > > This is the best, fastest, lightest filter on the planet and is
      > > inexpensive at only $20. Everybody that saw it wanted one.
      > >
      > > My second best gear purchase is the 16 oz Gossamer Gear Mariposa
      > > backpack. It's ultralight and has many external pockets for your
      > > tent, poles, rainsuit, etc. Just about every JMT hiker I saw was
      > > still using outdated conventional expedition-sized packs with 50
      plus
      > > pounds of gear and food.
      > >
      > > Lastly the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 tent was another great piece of
      > > gear. A freestanding double wall tent that weight 2.5 pounds and
      > > saves you the hassle of setting up a tarp, sleeping in a bivy and
      > > dealing with bugs.
      > >
      > > The JMT is the most difficult yet rewarding experience that I've
      had
      > > in the backcountry. The high Sierra scenery is stunning. The
      > > solitude is a blessing. It's a truly once in a lifetime
      opportunity
      > > not to be missed.
      > >
      > > Rich

    • Rich colfack
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
        It has been very dry in the sierras this year and some of the sources are starting to dry up and others are stagnant, especially the high ponds on east facing slopes. I never had to carry more than 3 liters between water sources and only 1 liter for the majority of the trip. I recommend tanking up with a couple liters prior to crossing any high passes (muir, pinchot, forrester, mather, and whitney.) I had to go anywhere from three to six miles after crossing these passes to find good flowing water sources.

      • bcooper67@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
          I'm starting my hike on the 19th so this is very important info for me. In areas where you mention that the water is not optimal, is there enough to scoop water and treat or is it a trickle of a mud hole where a pump/filter is needed? I'm planning on just carrying drops to save weight, but if a filter is needed, I'll bite the bullet and bring it along.
          Turbodog
          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

          It has been very dry in the sierras this year and some of the sources are starting to dry up and others are stagnant, especially the high ponds on east facing slopes. I never had to carry more than 3 liters between water sources and only 1 liter for the majority of the trip. I recommend tanking up with a couple liters prior to crossing any high passes (muir, pinchot, forrester, mather, and whitney.) I had to go anywhere from three to six miles after crossing these passes to find good flowing water sources.

          I am leaving to do the trail at the end of the month and I am
          curious if any of the indicated water sources are dried up. Thanks
          for the trip report.

          Matt

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, richfax <richfax@...> wrote:

          > Hello Tom,
          > �
          > It was just me and my hiking buddy Tim.� I think the only other
          SOBO hiker we saw on day one was a guy named Allen from Houston.� He
          was having some tent issues and had to find help at Reds.�
          > �
          > Rich

        • Tom Aterno
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
            I did not need a filter on the JMT near Reds and PCT south of
            Cottonwood Pass. Just Aqua Mira, 2L Platy and 1L Pepsi bottle.

            The Incredible Bulk

          • bcooper67@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
              Those items are just about the exact things I'm carrying.

              Tdog

            • richfax
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 9, 2008
                The places where the water was not optimal can be scooped and treated with no problem.    You should be fine without a pump.

              • bcooper67@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                  That's great to hear.
                  With having to carry 7 days worth of food from Red's Meadows, I will appreciate the weight savings from not carrying a pump. Speaking of which, trying to cram 7 days worth of food in a bear canister is a real challenge. Had to decrease caloric intake from 4000 Cal/day to about 3500. At least I'll get to lose some weight on this trip! : )

                  Turbodog

                  Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                  The places where the water was not optimal can be scooped and treated�with no problem.��� You should be fine without a pump.�

                  I'm starting my hike on the 19th so this is very important info for me. In areas where you mention that the water is not optimal, is there enough to scoop water and treat or is it a trickle of a mud hole where a pump/filter is needed? I'm planning on just carrying drops to save weight, but if a filter is needed, I'll bite the bullet and bring it along.
                  Turbodog
                  Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                  It has been very dry in the sierras this year and some of the sources are starting to dry up and others are stagnant, especially the high ponds on east facing slopes. I never had to carry more than 3 liters between water sources and only 1 liter for the majority of the trip. I recommend tanking up with a couple liters prior to crossing any high passes (muir, pinchot, forrester, mather, and whitney.) I had to go anywhere from three to six miles after crossing these passes to find good flowing water sources.

                  I am leaving to do the trail at the end of the month and I am
                  curious if any of the indicated water sources are dried up. Thanks
                  for the trip report.

                  Matt

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, richfax <richfax@... > wrote:

                  > Hello Tom,
                  > �
                  > It was just me and my hiking buddy Tim.� I think the only other
                  SOBO hiker we saw on day one was a guy named Allen from Houston.� He
                  was having some tent issues and had to find help at Reds.�
                  > �
                  > Rich

                • cahalan_tim
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                    If you don't mind me asking, what does your daily food menu look like
                    to get 4000 calories per day? I was struggling to get 2000 per day.

                    Tim

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, bcooper67@... wrote:

                    > That's great to hear.
                    > With having to carry 7 days worth of food from Red's Meadows, I
                    will appreciate the weight savings from not carrying a pump. Speaking
                    of which, trying to cram 7 days worth of food in a bear canister is a
                    real challenge. Had to decrease caloric intake from 4000 Cal/day to
                    about 3500. At least I'll get to lose some weight on this
                    trip! : )

                    > Turbodog
                    >
                    > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                  • sim ong
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                      Yes indeed Tim.  I owned a Garcia cannister but had to borrow a BearVault BV 500 to cramp 7 plus days worth of food in it.  My main staple consist of 2 bags of oatmeal for breakfast, jerky, dried fruits, drink sweetner for lunch, and freeze dried food for dinner.  I carried an asortment of dried fruits, raisins, mango, appricots etc and cereal bars.  I did not count calories but trying to eat all that food at high altitude was challenging.  Loosing weight is not an option on such a long hike.  However, that was my intend to loose some weight.  Food for the first day, do not need to be in the cannister, therefore, you can have 8 days worth of food with you at the start of the hike.  Depending how long you planned to stay on the trail, a Bearikade expedition offers a little more storage room .  Check it out at the link below.

                      http://www.wild-ideas.net/b_expedition.html

                      The other challenge is that all toilettries, first aid kit, sunscreen, and anything with fragrance will have to be in the cannister.  It will be tough in the first days to cramp all this into the can together with all the food.

                      Good Luck on the trail.

                      Happy Hiking.
                      Sim

                    • bcooper67@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                        Here is my menu. Not very glamorous, but it serves the purpose

                        First let me add that we'll be getting right up and hiking about 3-5 miles before stopping for breakfast; thus the jump start meal (it's really just for caffeine anyway)

                        Jumpstart (1) packet of energy powder in water (like the Propel packets but has 80mg caffeine) 10 cal
                        and(1) GU Roctane gel 100 cal

                        B'fast (1) serving Perpeteum in H2O 260 cal (Hammer Nutrition)
                        (1) Probar 400 cal (theprobar.com)

                        mid morn snack (1) GU Roctane gel 100 cal
                        (eat while walking) (1) serving Perpeteum in H2O 260 cal

                        Lunch (1) Probar 400 cal
                        (2) TB peanut butter 200 cal
                        (1) packet energy powder in water 10 cal

                        Afternoon snack (1) GU Roctane gel 100 cal
                        (1) Probar 400 cal
                        (1) Perpeteum in H2O 260 cal

                        Dinner (1) Mountain House 2 serving meal 800 cal ex. Chicken/Rice 400 cal/per serving
                        (1) packet energy powder in water 10 cal
                        dessert (2) servings powdered milk and Nestle chocolate milk mix 280 cal

                        This amounts to 3590 calories a day

                        This is pretty much what I've been able to fit in my bear canister. The only difference is three of the seven days I will have cold oatmeal instead of Perpeteum just for a change. The Perpeteum powder I have in little ziplock snack bags. There was some talk earlier about the ziplocks not sealing after powder gets on the seals, but this way I have each serving in it's own separate bag.

                        The way I got 400 cal a day was with using Kashi Cocoa Beach granola with 2 servings of powdered milk (660 cals) but it was just too bulky, so I replaced it with Perpeteum.

                        I hope this helps

                        Turbodog

                        From: "cahalan_tim" <cahalan_tim@...>

                      • taterno@cox.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                          T-dog,
                          How much water do you add to how much Perpeteum? I never seem to get this right, and it comes out too soupy or do viscous.

                          The Incredible Bulk

                          =============

                          From: "cahalan_tim" <cahalan_tim@...>

                          If you don't mind me asking, what does your daily food menu look like
                          to get 4000 calories per day? I was struggling to get 2000 per day.

                          Tim

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, bcooper67@... wrote:

                          > That's great to hear.
                          > With having to carry 7 days worth of food from Red's Meadows, I
                          will appreciate the weight savings from not carrying a pump. Speaking
                          of which, trying to cram 7 days worth of food in a bear canister is a
                          real challenge. Had to decrease caloric intake from 4000 Cal/day to
                          about 3500. At least I'll get to lose some weight on this
                          trip! : )

                          > Turbodog
                          >
                          > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                        • Barbara Karagosian
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                            I used a Bearikade Expedition for 7 days/6nights food - including oatmeal,
                            coffee, bars, dried dinners, tortillas, salami, cheese, beanpaste, miso,
                            Sportzbeans, Gatorade, plus toiletries. Lost 5lbs in 7 days - needed to
                            :-) Barbara

                            _____

                            http://www.wild- <http://www.wild-ideas.net/b_expedition.html>

                            From: cahalan_tim <cahalan_tim@ <mailto:cahalan_tim%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com>