ReSupply Question

  • hank.ward
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2013
      Hello All,
      I am having a hard time making up my mind with a resupply dilemma. I will be picking up 10 days of food at Muir Ranch and can only fit 7 in my canister. I know it is legal to hang the extra food until I get to Pinchot Pass but hanging food is a PITA and I never feel that good about it. My other option is to take my Ursack lined with a OPSack for the extra 3 days. I feel more secure with the Ursack even tho it is not legal. Whats have others done it this situation? I dont really want to leave the trail for a resupply at Onion Valley and cant afford the packer fees so it is hang it or use the Ursack. Im leaning towards using the Ursack. Thoughts?

      Thanks
      Hank
    • LEBRUN
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2013
        You got it Hank -- That is what I have done!

        Good Luck.

        Bruce (JMT 2009,10, 12).  Tahoe to Yosemite 2011.

        On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM, hank.ward <hankward1958@...> wrote:

        Hello All,
        I am having a hard time making up my mind with a resupply dilemma. I will be picking up 10 days of food at Muir Ranch and can only fit 7 in my canister. I know it is legal to hang the extra food until I get to Pinchot Pass but hanging food is a PITA and I never feel that good about it. My other option is to take my Ursack lined with a OPSack for the extra 3 days. I feel more secure with the Ursack even tho it is not legal. Whats have others done it this situation? I dont really want to leave the trail for a resupply at Onion Valley and cant afford the packer fees so it is hang it or use the Ursack. Im leaning towards using the Ursack. Thoughts?

        Thanks
        Hank

      • cjoslyn99
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2013
          I hit MTR late morning and headed out same day, camping near second
          bridge that crosses South Fork San Joaquin River, so I hung it from the
          bridge.

          You can hang from the first bridge as well if you choose to camp there.

          After that, can't tell you from personal experience, since as I didn't
          have a problem fitting everything in from there.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hank.ward" wrote:

          > Hello All,
          > I am having a hard time making up my mind with a resupply dilemma. I
          will be picking up 10 days of food at Muir Ranch and can only fit 7 in
          my canister. I know it is legal to hang the extra food until I get to
          Pinchot Pass but hanging food is a PITA and I never feel that good about
          it. My other option is to take my Ursack lined with a OPSack for the
          extra 3 days. I feel more secure with the Ursack even tho it is not
          legal. Whats have others done it this situation? I dont really want to
          leave the trail for a resupply at Onion Valley and cant afford the
          packer fees so it is hang it or use the Ursack. Im leaning towards using
          the Ursack. Thoughts?

          > Thanks
          > Hank

        • eric
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29, 2013
            Without any regards to legality, I used the ursack. As far as I could tell it was never disturbed by a bear although i did find several marmots and deer investigating it when it was tied up for the night.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hank.ward" <hankward1958@...> wrote:

            > Hello All,
            > I am having a hard time making up my mind with a resupply dilemma. I will be picking up 10 days of food at Muir Ranch and can only fit 7 in my canister. I know it is legal to hang the extra food until I get to Pinchot Pass but hanging food is a PITA and I never feel that good about it. My other option is to take my Ursack lined with a OPSack for the extra 3 days. I feel more secure with the Ursack even tho it is not legal. Whats have others done it this situation? I dont really want to leave the trail for a resupply at Onion Valley and cant afford the packer fees so it is hang it or use the Ursack. Im leaning towards using the Ursack. Thoughts?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Hank

          • Don Amundson
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 29, 2013
              The Ursack is "legal" and has been since 2009, in the Inyo National Forest.  That range of "legality" is from the JMT/McGee Pass junction just south of Virginia Lake down to Pinchot Pass for the purposes of your post. Per Ursack: The Forest Service Order for Inyo National Forest for 2009 allows Ursacks.  It says:  food must be stored in a container designed to prevent access by bears. SIGGB approved canisters are not part of the equation.

              http://www.ursack.com/ursack-faq.htm

              Personally I hang (legally-not from a bridge) when necessary.  It's not that hard.  Unless you're doing a dawn to dusk hike, get into camp and  make a game of getting your line over the branch (store you bear bag line in a small sack that is used as your rock sack).  Put a nice rock in the sack tied to your line and use the overhand, underhand, sierra slider or whatever method works.  You don't even need much of a cord since you're only hanging two days of food or so.

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 29, 2013
                On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

                The Ursack is "legal" and has been since 2009, in the Inyo National Forest.  That range of "legality" is from the JMT/McGee Pass junction just south of Virginia Lake down to Pinchot Pass for the purposes of your post. Per Ursack: The Forest Service Order for Inyo National Forest for 2009 allows Ursacks.  It says:  food must be stored in a container designed to prevent access by bears. SIGGB approved canisters are not part of the equation.

                http://www.ursack.com/ursack-faq.htm

                I think Don's reading of the actual 2009 regs makes a lot of sense, legally. But you should know that the backcountry rangers don't necessarily agree with Don's interpretation of the regs. If asked buy a ranger about your plans, I suggest you say that you are planning to counterbalance hang it. It's better to avoid a ticket than to have a good argument why it was improperly issued. I'm NOT suggesting that the risk of a ticket is high
              • Darryl
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 29, 2013
                  Hank,

                  Maybe you can cut a deal with a packer to piggyback your box on someone else's drop for a reduced fee.

                  Darryl