Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Letting go of old ideas

  • Dale Stuart
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 21 4:04 PM
    People have shared about being side sleepers and their pillow.  I do allot of MYOG and thought I'd share my solution.

    My pillow is made of heat sealable fabric, folds small, and is light.

    Basics are, insert the deflated pillow into stuff sack, with folded down jacket, inflate pillow.  Down jacket by itself would compress to small so inflatable offsets that to maintain dimensions.  I already have the jacket with me, and the stuff sack so all I am adding is the 1.4oz inflatable.

    -Dale

  • Denise Poyer
    Message 53 of 53 , Apr 23 10:31 AM
      I have hard to fit feet and am prone to blisters as well.  I'm 5'4", 56 years old, and weight more than I want to say.  I found a combination of different techniques seem to work for me.  I got rid of the high top, water proof boots and now use a pair of LL Bean women's pathfinders http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72464?feat=506710-GN3&page=women-s-pathfinder-hikers-low. They come in regular and wide - I get the wide, with NO waterproof linter.  Then I use a light pair of 5 toed socks - they allow the toes more freedom and less friction.  I also use tincture of benzoin on areas of my foot that are prone to blisters.  This "toughens up" the skin.  And I use Dirty Girl gaiters. Finally I soak my feet regularly at those wonderful cool mountain streams.  You want to prevent a buildup of moisture (from sweat) and keep the foot as cool as possible.

      I've tried orthotics, both custom and off the shelf, but I found they just pushed the problem around.
      Good luck!

      --
      Denise J. Poyer
      denisepoyer@...