Re: Stoves

  • John Karpinski
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2008
      > I use the same homemade Pepsi/Guness can stove but use Methyl Alcohol.  I've used at
      trail crest on Whitney and on the Popo volcano in Mexico and it worked great.  In cold and
      high altitudes, I had a hard time lighting the stove using denatured alcohol.

      I just completed the JMT and used only a pepsi stove. I also had a bit of trouble lighting it
      but it was only in the AM, about 5:30, when the temps were in the mid 30's. I attributed it
      to low vapor pressure due to the cold.

      Someone told me denatured alcohol has some water content??  Not sure if that's true, but
      it would explain my difficulties. I actually bring two pepsi stoves.  I have this ridiculous
      fear of stepping on my stove and squishing it! ;-)

      Because the are so light I used to carry a spare, too, but I was watching every ounce on
      this trip. As it turns out I met a guy on the trail the asked me if I had a space alcohol
      stove!! Apparently he did step on his. I felt bad that I couldn't help him because of being
      an ounce weenie.

      John Karpinski