Re: [John Muir Trail] Kearsarge Info - Help

  • Derek Peters
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21 10:28 AM
      Robert,

      I can help with this one.  Just did this hike a month ago.
      I posted a map of the loop at the following URL:
      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AJGtSGqYasp4ACZQE-8wEX-H1fT6sJDLjwQRQT9qFTmpAl6ejRsaUvpaNz2GaqblJ7EDcUVWIGShhkt6BP91J53AOTTAyRvkDg/RaeLakesLoopMap.pdf

      Take a look in the SE corner of the map.
      You'll see the FRESNO/TULARE boundary line.  Right above you'll see the Kearsarge Pinnacles that are in you pic.  Follow the yellow trial line over Glen pass from there and you are going to his Rae Lakes.  The picture you linked to of Rae Lakes was taken from the lake looking southeast at the peaks near Mt. Rixford and Black Mountain.

      My photo album for this hike is at:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/specracer62/RaeLakes2008

      You'll find almost the same picture at
      http://picasaweb.google.com/specracer62/RaeLakes2008/photo#5229049382037286722

      I would agree with the othe poster that the Kearsarge pinnacles picture was taken from Kearsarge Pass looking SW.

      Here's a like to Google Maps that shows Rae Lake in the North, Kearsarge Pinnacles in the South, and Kearsarge Pass to the East.
      http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=36.78193,-118.388844&spn=0.100366,0.211487&t=p&z=13

      So for your first question.
      1) Yes they are pretty close.  You could walk from Kearsarge Lakes to Rae Lakes in a day.
      2)  How far is it from Kearsarge Lake to Onion Valley.  I'd say that you could do that in a day as well.  I'd have to get 5-6 miles line of site, so a bit further on the trails.  The bigger issues is getting over the passes.  I'd check out your elevation gains and see if you are still confortable with it.
      3) Not sure what you meant by being able to see the "Tan Lake",  but you should be able to see it coming over Kearsarge pass.
      4) Onion Valley to Kearsarge pass is a very common trail.  You should have not problems following the trail.  That said.  Bring a topo map and compass and know how to use it.  Nothing saying that you couldn't find your self in a rain storm and it might be harder to navigate.

      Hope that helps,

      Derek