Onion Valley to Whitney Portal Via Kearsarge

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2008
      Hello All,

      Thanks for all the great posts. I have found them to be very informative. My group is planning on hiking from Onion Valley to Whitney Portal via Kearsarge Pass starting August 24th. If anyone has come through this area in the recent past or the near future, we would appreciate any information you can pass along. In particular weather information would be appreciated. We are planning on doing this hike in 4 days, but have allotted for 5 should it be necessary. Is that reasonable or is it too aggressive? Does anyone have any recommendation for campsites? Thanks in advance.

      Ken

    • sim ong
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2008
        Ken,

        I recently completed my enjoyable JMT hike in early
        July. I begin my description starting at Rae Lakes
        where I camped for a night. I hiked over Glen Pass
        and down to Bubbs Creeks area and up to as high as I
        can hike to a camp site above treeline near Forester
        Pass. The following day I hike over Forester Pass to
        Guitar Lake, an 18 miles hike. It was quite straneous
        but can be done. The vista on top of Forester Pass is
        worth the stop. Between Forester Pass, Big Horn
        Plateau area, is dry and hot. I will not want to get
        caught in a storm in this area but beautiful. The
        ranger, I forgot her name, is very friendly. I wish
        her well as she was pregnant, her tummy was certainly
        showing, the last time I met her. Water supply is
        scares in this area and I recommend you to fill up
        whenever possible. You can camp near Craptree Meadow
        or continue to hike up to Guitar Lake. It is quite a
        climb, I will have to warn you, from Crabtree Ranger
        station to Guitar Lake. Perhaps, I was exhausted from
        the long day. As you climb, Mt Whitney will come into
        clear view. The western view will definately give you
        an evening photo opportunity, if you are a
        photographer. Oh yes, you will want to grab one of
        the Pack Out Kits near the Crabtree Ranger Station.
        You must pack out your waste as the soil above the
        treeline at Mt.Whitney is too sandy to adequately
        treat your waste naturally. I have seen too many
        human excrement left behind rocks left by
        irresponsible visitors. See link below for more
        information.

        http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/packitout.shtml

        Waking up early the following day after camping by
        Guitar Lake the night before, I filled up my water
        bottle to the rim, ate my last oatmeal breakfast and
        drank my instant coffee, I started hiking at 6:30 AM.
        I dropped my pack at the crest junction, take only my
        lunch and water, and I hiked the remainder 1.9 miles
        up to Mt Whitney. Arriving at the submit at 11:00 AM,
        not claiming to be a fast hiker, I choose a spot to
        look back on my accomplishment of hiking the JMT. The
        vista will give you plenty of opportunities to take
        pictures and a breather at the same time. Watch for
        the weather, as it can be life and death if one is to
        be caught in a lightning storm while at the summit. I
        started hiking down after an hour of lunch break,
        signed the visitor log book, and tried to make a phone
        call while on the top of Mt Whitney. I did not have
        any luck with my ATT cell phone service. Perhaps,
        T-Mobile might work better. A little after noon, I
        began my desent. It took me 6 hours of hiking,
        managing the 97 switchbacks, I arrived at Whitney
        Portal for my hamburger.

        You should have plenty of time to enjoy allowing 5
        days to complete your hike from Onion Valley. Going
        slower is advisable regardless of ability to prevent
        any injury and increase the enjoyment level. Good
        luck and let us know how you hike went after you get
        back.

        Sim