Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Crossing Streams

  • Ray Rippel
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 6 12:11 PM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 620 KB
    Yep...I would say Evolution is the only place. I stripped down to barefoot and just waded across, picking my spots carefully. A cut foot would be bad at that point, and perhaps I just got lucky, but that's what I did. Seems like a hassle to carry an extra pair of shoes just for that. (In camp I prefer just loosening my boots.)

    Photo of the crossing is attached...minus the two young girls who were on the other side, soaking their feet. I felt self-conscious about putting them in the shot! :)

    On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM, John <johndittli@...> wrote:

    Depending on agility, there will probably be only one wet foot crossing at that time this summer(Evolution). Flip-flops have never stayed on my feet well in water plus it's harder to wear socks with them in camp if you like. Crocks with a heel strap, while not ideal in rushing water, will work fine at Evolution that late in the season.

    Unlike other water specific shoes, for camp, Crocks are much easier to slip on in the middle of the night, when your half asleep, if you need to do that sort of thing....

    JD

    Message 42 of 42 , Jun 24, 2013
      I tried the Luna Sandal but have mailed them back, what I did not like about them are 3 things:

      1.  The Leadville model (recommended for sierra-type trails) weighed in either 5.5 or 5.8 oz apiece versus the 4.5 oz Teva Mush Universal.

      2.  The thong design, along with the way the straps wrap around the ankle require the straps to be very tight to avoid having the rear strap fall off the ankle causing too much pressure between the big toe and the 2nd toe.

      3.  No matter how tight I made the straps, still the strap would fall off my foot/ankle at times.  I wore them around the house for about 4 days.  I'd bend down, squat (while packing food) and this would happen.  I'd adjust the straps but nothing bullet proof.

      4.  The straps are not as slip proof as the velcro method used by Teva, it is more like a belt slip approach for straps.  Some slippage can occur.

      If Luna Sandal used the strap arrangement of Teva Mush Universal, I could see staying with the Luna Sandals for the 1 oz extra weight, as the sole is definitely more rugged (Vibram) and I'm sure less slippery when wet (per Robert's concern).

      5.  The Teva Mush Universal sandals are the most comfortable strap sandals I've ever put on my feet.

      _