Re: Bus service from LAX

  • Don
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2013
      In answer to your first question. There is bus (+train,+bus) to LAX from Bishop, Lone Pine, Mammoth etc. everywhere the Mammoth to Lancaster bus stops (Mon Wed Fri only). The bus stops at the Metro Link (rail) station in Lancaster. The Metro Link runs to Union Station in downtown LA. You catch the non stop FlyAway bus from there to LAX. An alternative is to get off the Metro Link train at the Burbank International Airport and fly from there. The trick in any of this is meshing schedules between surface transportation and flight departures. Flying from Burbank is more costly than flying from LAX. John suggested flying from Mammoth to LAX--think about it. It's less headache in the end and possibly more economical. You'll need to run the numbers to determine that.
      Getting from Whitney Portal back to your car shouldn't be difficult. Talk to people on the trail or at the portal. Someone may just be heading back to Bishop and a hitch from there up to South Lake would be a snap (lots of traffic in that area). You can always book a shuttle service also. I don't know what the economics of a rental car would be having never done that.