Checking high/low temps for your month

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
      I just stumbled across an easier way to check for the likely temperature range for your hike

      Go to this site

      Under station ID, enter VLC (Volcanic Knob) and under date enter the end date of your trip, but for 2011. You will see 30 days worth of high and low temps for that location, ending with your exit date in 2011.

      Note the lowest and highest temperature for the month (including the date). Go back one page and change the station from VLC to BSH (Bishop Pass). See if that location also reported  an unusual low or high for the same date. By looking at the two locations, you make sure the low/high reading was real and not an equipment error (not uncommon on these sensors).

      Both locations are near to the mid-point of the JMT and above 10k feet.

      Now repeat the process for 2010, 2009, etc.  this. You can then see what your worst case scenarios are. If you are risk adverse, go back 10 years.

      To members of the Facebook JMT group: sorry for the cross-posting.

    • marti124
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27
        What are the abbreviations and locations of the various Station Sensors throughout the JMT.  I see the two John mentioned, but what are some of the others?  Also, where is Volcanic Knob?

        Thanks!
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27
          Volcanic Knob is a little bit east of the intersection of the JMT and Bear Ridge trail (above Lake Edison)

          Bishop Pass and Volcanic Knob are just north and south of the JMT midpoint.

          Both are a bit over 10k feet

          I created a history of 10 years worth of low temps at

          It is hard to understand the history information by looking at it on a screen. It's best to print it.

          Note that the sensors appear to occasionally give false low readings. It is therefore important to look at 2 different locations, at least - don't trust an unusually low temp report unless it is also quite low at the other station.

          On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 3:27 PM, roleigh@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          What are the abbreviations and locations of the various Station Sensors throughout the JMT.  I see the two John mentioned, but what are some of the others?  Also, where is Volcanic Knob?

          Thanks!

        • dj_ayers
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28
            The station ID's for central CA including the Sierra Nevada is shown on the map at http://amazon.nws.noaa.gov/hads/maps/C_CA_map.html .  Zoom in and point your mouse at a station and the ID and common description pop up.  Clicking takes you to reporting information (but not weather data) for that station.  You can use the station ID and search at the NOAA site and the first result is usually the forecast at that station.