Trip Report of Sorts

  • onkelb0b
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15 10:12 AM
      Started out at Mammoth area, the Coldwater campground to precise and
      rolled down to Kings Canyon - Woods Creek/Cedar Grove exit; about 11
      trail days. It was supposed to be the two of us, but my friend dropped
      out at Florence Lake. I had to continue as my car was staged at Roads
      End in KCNP.

      Acclimation - Coldwater campground is at 9,000'! Great place to stay a
      day or two to see how your body responds to the altitude. Altitude
      rarely affects me, but my friend appreciated it.

      Weather - When is no rain a bad thing? When it means hot - bright -
      relentless sun on the poor hiker walking up Palisade Creek. It was
      blazing hot on the climb up the Golden Staircase. Practically no cover
      at all the whole trip. Once and a while a cloud would pop up and
      provide shade, otherwise it was warm! I was not "cold" at all during
      the trip, a few cool evenings and mornings - Evolution and Upper
      Basins. Hydrate often!!

      Daylight - long enough still. At 0530 it's bright enough to break
      camp, 0600 the sun is out; at 2000 the light fades.

      Mosquitoes - dwindling by the day. Upper Basin which is usually awful
      was tolerable. I didn't stay at Woods Creek Crossing, which is
      historically a horrible place, but heard they weren't too bad. Tully
      Hole was awful.

      Bears - Didn't see one nor was I visited. Usually I run into one so
      this was odd. They seem to be learning (or more properly hikers are
      learning) that we are not a source of food.

      VVR - Oh my how the lake has fallen!! It's a loooonnnng haul from
      Quail Meadow to temporary dock. The sign is also somewhat confusing.
      Stay on the trail, follow it to the next sign which says follow the
      beach. From there, go out to the water line because the sand in firmer
      out there. Then start walking and walking and walking... We made the
      evening ferry but it was barely and only because a Sierra Club outing
      had so many people. They are ferrying people 5 at a time.

      Trail - Probably the best condition I've seen ever. No trees, high
      water, nothing impeding my progress. A bit dry in places, but
      otherwise OK. Evolution Creek can be crossed "dry" if you're willing
      to log hop, etc..

      Passes - Silver, Selden, Muir, Mather, Pinchot, are still there :^)
      Only Muir has a little bit of snow on the south side but it is not a
      hindrance. This was the second time I crossed Muir - Mather - Pinchot
      in consecutive days and by the time you reach the last one - ack.