Re: Rockwell: Read his paper, then got giardia in the Sierra

  • Buck
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2013
      Thank you John, I appreciate that. Thanks also to Roleigh and the rest of the group for the warm welcome and for taking the time to consider the points I made. Happy hiking all!

      Buck

      > Buck
      >
      > Thanks for the detailed posting, detailing the case that giardia remains
      > enough of a concern to justify routine water treatment in the Sierra. I
      > have added a link to the longer blogspot article to the Group's Links area
      > (together with Rockwell's contrary argument).
      >
      > Readers interested in the issue could look at our Water Safety links area.
      > It has a great deal of information, including information on water quality
      > in Sierra lakes.

      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      > 415-648-9279
    • Wilderness
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 7, 2013
        Buck, thanks for your dissection of this Faux News-type article or fable. It strikes me as beyond sad and counterproductive that "real" science is discounted in favor or opinions and random statements.

        In another, more recent, post, I mentioned that I believe that Rockwell encourages Sierra (and other) hikers to act as unwitting carriers for distributing bugs to all. It's possible to have giardias and other amoebas in your system and not have debilitating symptoms - so, one believes that water treatment is unnecessary. And, spread the bugs to other drainages.

        One quick note - also take care with supposedly clean water from developed springs. While hiking the Lost Coast, we treated all water. A storm swooped in and we stayed at an outfitter bungalow and drank the water without treating it. Not smart or good. I ended up with a horrible case of water-borne gastro-distress. It eliminated my hiking for nearly two weeks. The water was from a "tested pure" (haw!) spring. That's how come those Sawyer and other systems have that faucet attachment.

        http://wildernessvagabond.com/lost-coast-2011/lost-coast-2011.htm

        (Sorry for the late post - I've been hiking the Utah Flats-Phantom Creek area of The Grand Canyon, where we saw no other hikers for 5 full days. Yippee.)

        take care out there, Rob of the WV