Re: Fwd: [John Muir Trail] Bear Canister Packing

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
      -- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "RJMZCR" <RJMZCR@...> wrote:

      > What's the shelf life on the mission tortillas? I've been thinking I'd like to pack those this summer, but wasn't sure they would be ok for more than a couple few days.

      The sell by date on the package that I purchased over the weekend is May 5. It helps to look to make sure you grab one with a longer expiration. The tortillas are not in a refrigerated area of the supermarket but I'm not sure what assumptions go into the expiration date (room temp? Humidity?). So I plan to leave a package on my patio for a month this summer to see what happens...
    • staehpj1
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
        They hold up pretty well.

        Check out http://blog.packitgourmet.com/2009/10/life-of-tortilla.html where they did a test.

        The mission ones last a month or more in most cases. I have had them on my boat at least that long and maybe longer and they were fine. On bike tours, canoe trips, and backpacking trips they have never gone bad for me. In those applications I have never not used them up for that long though.

        I have always considered them OK unless moldy and I have never had them go moldy.

        > -- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "RJMZCR" <RJMZCR@> wrote:
        > >
        > > What's the shelf life on the mission tortillas? I've been thinking I'd like to pack those this summer, but wasn't sure they would be ok for more than a couple few days.
        > >

        > The sell by date on the package that I purchased over the weekend is May 5. It helps to look to make sure you grab one with a longer expiration. The tortillas are not in a refrigerated area of the supermarket but I'm not sure what assumptions go into the expiration date (room temp? Humidity?). So I plan to leave a package on my patio for a month this summer to see what happens...

      • jyeider
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
          We've packed them around for over 2 weeks cheese jalapeno tortillas no mold or disintary related ramifications. There's so many preservatives in that stuff that food spoilage is the least of your worries.
          Jeffery

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
            Platypus bladders work well for olive oil.  I use lots of the stuff. I might bring a liter size for my 10-day stretch. There's also a 500 cc size (17 oz) Platypus for $8 at REI.

            On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:

            Looks like a great way to try out individual packets! I have some doubts about using individual packets of potentially messy foods like Nutella, peanut butter, olive oil, etc. I might be afraid to push things in the canister too aggressively but it is definitely worth some experimentation before the trip.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Linda Bakkar <ljbakkar@...> wrote:

            > Check out http://www.minimus.biz/ for individual serving-size packages of
            > all kinds. You can find peanut butter in little packets at some health
            > food stores, but it is easy to order them from minimus.biz and have them
            > delivered to your front door.
            >
            > Blue Butterfly

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
              Does anyone know if tortillas are available at the Tuolumne Meadows store? If so, that would be great option for us SoBo hikers.

              Chris.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "staehpj1" <Pete.Staehling@...> wrote:

              > They hold up pretty well.
              >
              > Check out http://blog.packitgourmet.com/2009/10/life-of-tortilla.html where they did a test.
              >
              > The mission ones last a month or more in most cases. I have had them on my boat at least that long and maybe longer and they were fine. On bike tours, canoe trips, and backpacking trips they have never gone bad for me. In those applications I have never not used them up for that long though.
              >
              > I have always considered them OK unless moldy and I have never had them go moldy.
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@> wrote:
              > >
              > > -- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "RJMZCR" <RJMZCR@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > What's the shelf life on the mission tortillas? I've been thinking I'd like to pack those this summer, but wasn't sure they would be ok for more than a couple few days.
              > > >

              > > The sell by date on the package that I purchased over the weekend is May 5. It helps to look to make sure you grab one with a longer expiration. The tortillas are not in a refrigerated area of the supermarket but I'm not sure what assumptions go into the expiration date (room temp? Humidity?). So I plan to leave a package on my patio for a month this summer to see what happens...

            • perrito_blanco
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
                When I was there in 2009, I bought some there. The had a nice selection.