Snowfall info at Mammoth Mountain

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
      Good site to get up to date snowfall information at a high elevation locations near the JMT. My assumption is they do not have the ability to produce their own snow and inflate these numbers!

      http://www.mammothmountain.com/Mountain/Conditions/SnowConditions/

      Gives daily updates on snowfall at the main lodge and base depths at 8900', 9600', and 11053'.

      And just click on the 'Mammoth Snowfall History>' link to get historic records back to 1969-70.

      Chris
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
        My guess is that those are inflated numbers. They have snowmaking on about a third of the mountain, but I'm not sure about the areas listed. They did get some fresh snow up high from the latest storm, but not enough to erase the huge snow deficit the Sierras are facing again this year. FWIW, living in the Reno/Tahoe area has taught me to be very skeptical about ski resorts inflated numbers in low snow years ; )! The man to ask would be John D., the Cal Water numbers for the first of April should be out, or out soon.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <crhall41@...> wrote:

        > Good site to get up to date snowfall information at a high elevation locations near the JMT. My assumption is they do not have the ability to produce their own snow and inflate these numbers!
        >
        > http://www.mammothmountain.com/Mountain/Conditions/SnowConditions/
        >
        > Gives daily updates on snowfall at the main lodge and base depths at 8900', 9600', and 11053'.
        >
        > And just click on the 'Mammoth Snowfall History>' link to get historic records back to 1969-70.
        >
        > Chris

      • speedcenter2001
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
          http://patrol.mammothmountain.com/MMSA-SnowSummary70-Current.htm

          this site is where you go for measured snow fall over the years and by month - this is snow fall amounts, not what is found on the ski slopes.

          We still have a "48" base" here in Wisconsin at the ski hill, but that's more than fell all winter elsewhere

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <crhall41@...> wrote:

          > Good site to get up to date snowfall information at a high elevation locations near the JMT. My assumption is they do not have the ability to produce their own snow and inflate these numbers!
          >
          > http://www.mammothmountain.com/Mountain/Conditions/SnowConditions/
          >
          > Gives daily updates on snowfall at the main lodge and base depths at 8900', 9600', and 11053'.
          >
          > And just click on the 'Mammoth Snowfall History>' link to get historic records back to 1969-70.
          >
          > Chris

        • Jim White
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
            Mammoth Mountain's snowfall numbers are pretty real, but not at all representative of any location more than 2 miles away.

            The mountain sticks up in the middle of the lowest pass in 150 miles of mountains. It gets way more snow than anywhere on the JMT.

            Yesterday I was skiing 12-15" of fresh snow only 1/2 mile from the official gauge that registered 6". In town three miles away maybe 2" fell.