Re: [John Muir Trail] Bear Canister Packing

  • Herb
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
      I have used the squeeze tubes and generally like them. However, we did an early season Sierra trip many years back with tubes filled with peanut butter and chocolate chips. Thought we would be in hog heaven. But... we started out in usually cold temps for the first 5-7 days and the mixture was so stiff in the tubes we could not get it out. We finally resorted to opening the back side and chipped out the contents chunk by chunk like frozen ice cream.

      As to leakage of the small packages, I have jammed them into a bear can and not had any problem.

      Herb

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, jyeider <jyeider@...> wrote:

      > RAVI
      > THE PACKAGES ARE EXPENSIVE MESSY WASTEFUL AND SMALL IN PORTIONS. POLY SQUEEZE TUBE COST A DOLLAR AND ARE REUSABLE. YOU CAN MIX UP ANY CONCOCTION YOU LIKE. PB&J HONEY.THEY FIT ANYWHERE IN YOU CANISTER. TRY THEM OUT.
      >
      > JEFFERY
      >

      > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

    • jyeider
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
        The free fast food condiment packs are not a probkem at all. We use at least 10 different kinds of those never a leak. Doesn't everyone use those
        Jeffery

      • Frank Dumville
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
          I've used the squeeze tubes in the past but didn't think they were worth the effort on a longer hike. If I bring peanut butter I use the plastic jar it comes in. If I'm tight on space I pack something else.

          Snap

          From: jyeider jyeider@...