Bear Cannisters

  • kblovold
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2013
      Is there any concencus as to which one is best for the JMT? The Bear vault 500 vs the Garcia. I like that the Bear vault is a tad lighter and holds a little more and is clear. Is it true that bears have mastered this one? Which do you recommend. I apologize if this has already been covered previously.
    • John
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2013
        I don't know if there is a conscious, but I have both and prefer the BearVault. Clear, bigger, easier to load. The Cadillac is of course the Bearikade, but at an additional $200 ($20+ per oz saved) it can be a hard pill to swallow.

        As far as bears figuring the BearVault out, I believe it has only been when operator error is involved.

        JD
        see book here

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2013
          Consensus

          > I don't know if there is a conscious, but I have both and prefer the
          > BearVault. Clear, bigger, easier to load. The Cadillac is of course the
          > Bearikade, but at an additional $200 ($20+ per oz saved) it can be a
          > hard pill to swallow.
          > As far as bears figuring the BearVault out, I believe it has only been
          > when operator error is involved.
          > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
          > <http://www.johndittli.com>
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kblovold" <kblovold@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is there any concencus as to which one is best for the JMT? The Bear
          > vault 500 vs the Garcia. I like that the Bear vault is a tad lighter
          > and holds a little more and is clear. Is it true that bears have
          > mastered this one? Which do you recommend. I apologize if this has
          > already been covered previously.

        • charliepolecat
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2013
            I have the bearvault, it works great. I can get 7 days of food into it and the advantage of owning it for almost the same price as renting the bearikade is to practice packing it at home long before the trek starts and the rental arrives.
          • Don Amundson
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2013
              BV_Lid

              There is a very smart bear in the Anirondacks!  There was a  problem with one of the BearVault models in the Rae Lakes area.  BearVault took action and initiated an replacement program.  I think they were providing new canisters/lids at the permit offices--a vague remembrance.  I don't know of any current issues with the BearVaults out here.
              I've never used a Garcia. I used to use BearVaults and for the price and features they're good products.  The size of the Garcia would give me second thoughts.  The  added 86ci
              of space in the BV500 makes a big difference.

              From the BearVault site:  In 2007 one or more bears at Marcy Dam in the Adirondacks learned how to open BearVault models. The bear(s) opened the lids by pressing in the snap on the lid with its canine tooth, unscrewing the lid past the housing lock and then opening the unit. There were no problems with BearVaults outside of this area.

              In response to this a new lid was developed for 2008 which had two snaps on the lid which both required being pressed in sequentially- this is the model BV450/500. Testing was conducted during June and July 2008 at Marcy Dam and Lake Colden. We now have the test results. Surprisingly, the bear(s) pressed in the first snap with its incisor, rotated the lid and then pressed in the 2nd snap with its incisor and opened the lid.

              The DEC believes that this behavior is unique to this bear(s) as they have not had any incidents of this type of failure of BV350 and higher models outside of this area. They also are doubtful that this behavior will migrate to other bears and BearVault has seen no evidence of this happening. There have also been no problems whatsoever with BV350 and higher models anywhere else in North America.

              Accordingly, BearVault recommends against using BearVault canisters in the Lake Colden/Marcy Dam corridor and the Johns Brook valley as these are within the bears' territory. You can freely use BearVaults elsewhere.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2013
                I used to rent Garcias, then used a BearVault for multiple years and last year ended up with an Bearikade. I'd have saved money if I had started with the Bearikade.

                As others have pointed out, however, you could always buy the Bearikade and then sell it when you got back. There's a really good resale market for the Bearikade. I suspect not much for the BearVault and almost none for the Garcia.

                I'm still fond of the BearVault though. This bear worked mine over pretty good before giving up

                Inline image 1

                I think the BearVault is better than the Garcia for the reasons you mention. If you buy a used BearVault, make sure you get the current models with the double tab stops. It was the older single-stop design that the bears got into.

              • Marna
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1 10:39 AM
                  I'm with you. I was just looking at renting the Bearikade and even that seems too expensive. I have the smaller BearVault (good for 4-5 day trips) and think I'll go ahead and get it's big brother for my JMT hike. I'd rather put 10 more ounces of food in the canister than carry it in the canister's weight, but not at a price of $150.
                  Marnie