RE: [John Muir Trail] Bear Canister Packing

  • Don Amundson
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
      I've never used the Opsaks with a canister. If I was that worried about bears being attracted to odors I'd have to get an Opsak big enough for me to fit into. And you are right about regular plastic bags not holding out odors. Ground coffee is the worse--I would recommend an Opsak or at a minimum double bagging any ground coffee you might be carrying unless you like coffee flavored rice.

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: ravi@...
      Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:38:51 +0000
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Bear Canister Packing

      I forgot to ask one question in my original post: Is it typical to use odor proof Loksak liners for the canister? One thing I really noticed when repacking is that the ziplocks do not contain odors at all. I'm sitting at my computer which is about 20 feet from the place where I repackaged everything yesterday and I can still smell a combination of Knorr sides, peanuts, and hot cocoa mix. If I can smell this from 20 feet away, my guess is any bear or "mini bear" will be drawn to the location of the canister. Although there isn't any chance of the canister failing, I would prefer to be as "stealth" like as possible to avoid visitors.

    • Gail
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
        Re coffee -I don't think bears like coffee, lol. Anyway, here's what happened to me: Once in the 80s I was backpacking (in Evolution Basin) with a friend. We hung our food in a tree far from our tents. In the morning the remnants of the sack were on the ground - we'd heard nothing during the night. Every scrap of our food was gone except for the coffee. I yelled to my friend, "He didn't take the coffee!" and she called disgustedly back, "Well, what did he need COFFEE for? He was up all night anyway!"

        We were truly grateful to still have the coffee :-)

        After that we told hikers we met what had happened. We really weren't trying to bum food, just to share our story, but almost everyone offered us some food. But what they wanted to unload were excess freeze-dried packages. They kept all their gorp. So whenever we wanted to eat anything after that, we pretty much had to stop and pull our stove our of our pack...

        That was the trip on which I learned that it is possible to survive without brushing your teeth, and that pots can be scraped clean with sand :-).

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

        > I've never used the Opsaks with a canister. If I was that worried about bears being attracted to odors I'd have to get an Opsak big enough for me to fit into. And you are right about regular plastic bags not holding out odors. Ground coffee is the worse--I would recommend an Opsak or at a minimum double bagging any ground coffee you might be carrying unless you like coffee flavored rice.
        >
        > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        > From: ravi@...
        > Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:38:51 +0000
        > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Bear Canister Packing
        >

        > I forgot to ask one question in my original post: Is it typical to use odor proof Loksak liners for the canister? One thing I really noticed when repacking is that the ziplocks do not contain odors at all. I'm sitting at my computer which is about 20 feet from the place where I repackaged everything yesterday and I can still smell a combination of Knorr sides, peanuts, and hot cocoa mix. If I can smell this from 20 feet away, my guess is any bear or "mini bear" will be drawn to the location of the canister. Although there isn't any chance of the canister failing, I would prefer to be as "stealth" like as possible to avoid visitors.

      • Don
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
          Robert--you're not a glutton, just what I call a beast on the trail. You're the only hiker I've ever seen with a dust trail behind them from hiking so fast. And as you remember that was when you were hiking uphill NOBO on the way to Muir Pass. Your calorie/energy requirements as a fastpacker are a bit higher than us more mainstream types. ;-)

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
            US Plastics sells a variety of plastic jars that I use for repackaging things like nutella and peanut butter, to make them a bit more compact than odd-shaped original jars. They are also good for holding things like field-mixed hummus and tabbouleh from the time I make them (
            after
            breakfast) until I eat them (lunch).

            The polypropylene (PP) jars (
            marked with
            Recycle s
            mbol number 5) can stand quite hot temperatures so can be sterilized before you leave home if you want to package things like
            rendered
            baconfat
            , ghee
            or homemade pesto, and can also serve as containers for steeping your meals in boiling water. They also resist freezing temps without cracking.

            Lots of other types of plastic either deform with hot water and/or become brittle if used in sub-freexing temperatures. Pour boiling  water into an empty peanut butter jar and you will see what I mean.
            .
            Good jar choice
            here:

            http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23371

            Must buy the lids separately

            lid 70-400
            works for the PP
            6 and 8 ounce jars
            lid 89-400
            works for the PP
             12 and 16 ounce jars

            http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22820

            The foamed

            Polyethylene
            (
            PE
            )
            liners
            (supplied with
            the caps at the above link
            )
            help keep oily contents from leaking. Unfortunately the liners can't take full heat for sterilizing
            when the jars are empty
            .
             You can, however, package them first and then use an extended hot water bath to sterilize them without degrading the liners.

            And, no, I don't know why Gmail keeps changing font size on me.

          • jyeider
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 1 9:39 AM
              RAVI
              THE PACKAGES ARE EXPENSIVE MESSY WASTEFUL AND SMALL IN PORTIONS. POLY SQUEEZE TUBE COST A DOLLAR AND ARE REUSABLE. YOU CAN MIX UP ANY CONCOCTION YOU LIKE. PB&J HONEY.THEY FIT ANYWHERE IN YOU CANISTER. TRY THEM OUT.

              JEFFERY

            • Herb
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 1 11:31 AM
                I have used the squeeze tubes and generally like them. However, we did an early season Sierra trip many years back with tubes filled with peanut butter and chocolate chips. Thought we would be in hog heaven. But... we started out in usually cold temps for the first 5-7 days and the mixture was so stiff in the tubes we could not get it out. We finally resorted to opening the back side and chipped out the contents chunk by chunk like frozen ice cream.

                As to leakage of the small packages, I have jammed them into a bear can and not had any problem.

                Herb

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, jyeider <jyeider@...> wrote:

                > RAVI
                > THE PACKAGES ARE EXPENSIVE MESSY WASTEFUL AND SMALL IN PORTIONS. POLY SQUEEZE TUBE COST A DOLLAR AND ARE REUSABLE. YOU CAN MIX UP ANY CONCOCTION YOU LIKE. PB&J HONEY.THEY FIT ANYWHERE IN YOU CANISTER. TRY THEM OUT.
                >
                > JEFFERY
                >

                > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

              • jyeider
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 1 11:42 AM
                  The free fast food condiment packs are not a probkem at all. We use at least 10 different kinds of those never a leak. Doesn't everyone use those
                  Jeffery

                • Frank Dumville
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 1 8:22 PM
                    I've used the squeeze tubes in the past but didn't think they were worth the effort on a longer hike. If I bring peanut butter I use the plastic jar it comes in. If I'm tight on space I pack something else.

                    Snap

                    From: jyeider jyeider@...