Dry stretches thread

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2013
      On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 7:34 AM, John <johndittli@...> wrote:

      The dry stretches late in the year can include:
      LYV to upper Sunrise Creek, Deer Creek to Duck Creek, Bear Ridge (others anyone?)
      . This year things may possibly end up dryer then ever (in historical records), so it might be wise to keep an ear to the ground before your trip. For instance
      if Deer Creek were to dry, it could be a long haul from Crater Mdw to Duck Creek.

      If others will add ideas here, I'll post a link to this thread in the  Links area for Planning.

      My main thought to add to the thread, since I am travelling in September this dry year, is to look at my map and carry enough water assuming I have to go from lake to lake, rather than stream crossing to stream crossing, for reliable water.  Except where I know a particular crossing has particularly good flow always.

      For those of you who haven't done much hiking in the Sierra and are looking at your map right now, please note that on a map  a major-looking watercourse often looks close to the trail -- but due to the terrain it may be inaccessible due to the topography. It's usually the on-trail lakes and the streams that cross the trail that provide the reliable water.  The streams that parallel the trail may not be accessible other than at points you cross them.

      John Ladd