Re: AquaMira Frontier Emergency filter

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 9:16 AM
      On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      It
      [a linked video in my earlier posting]
      involves adapting an
      AquaMira straw-based emergency Frontier filter
      into a gravity-fed filter using Platypus bladder. It's a
      promising idea and I am going to experiment with it
      . Limited rated lifetime (20 gallons) but enough for a JMT solo trip.

      I do NOT recommend this system, though admittedly I didn't test it very long. I dropped the thing on the floor from about waist level and it broke. While this could be a one-off experience (and I may be more fumble fingered than most) the location of the break concerned me. The filter element helps hold the thing together and it is very delicate (much more delicate than the ceramic filter elements in the usual filter pumps). What concerns me is not so much a repeat of my experience of the whole thing busting apart, but that it would be easy for the filter element, if exposed to fairly normal on-trail abuse, do develop a crack. Once a filter element has even a small crack, the water tends to flow through the crack rather than through the filter, and you could think you were filtering your water, but you are unknowingly drinking a mixture of filtered and unfiltered water.

      I suspect that it could serve as an emergency backup to a ceramic filter if you treated it gently enough. But even one failure is enough to convince me that it's not sufficiently reliable for a 200+ mile trip.