1P tent advice: TT vs Six Moon vs...

  • sourdocurt
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
      In prep for my first JMT this summer, solo, I'm trying to select the right 1P tent for me. Current group trip tent is a Nemo Losi 3P (for me and kids), which I really like. Just too heavy for solo JMT, obviously.

      I've combed reviews and messages, but still not feeling completely sure about it since I can't actually put my body into any of the cottage manufacturer tents first. I'd love to get opinions re: pros and cons of these, side by side experiences, etc.

      I'm 6' tall, side sleeper, want to be able to sit up and dress comfortably inside it (40" high minimum). I've never used a superlight tent before, and don't want a tent that's super twitchy about condensation, guying out, etc.

      General question: is freestanding setup a useful option on the JMT?

      In terms of specific tents, here's my take so far:

      1) TarpTents
      a) Notch is too narrow for my knees-bent side sleeping.
      b) Rainbow could be a good choice. Will its small vestibule actually cover a backpack and boots?
      c) Stratospire 1 also could be a good choice; one concern is it whether it's rather twitchy about guying out, and stable in high winds.

      2) Six Moon Skyscape Trekker dimensions look good, but it seems to have relatively little ventilation/condensation management in its design. Any feedback about this?

      3) Lightheart Solong comparable to SMD Trekker- better top pole design.

      4) Big Agnes 1P options. Tried one at REI, feels narrow up top, and I'm spooked by stories of pole failures and other quality issues on recent buyers. Not inclined to go this route.

      5) Nemo Obi 1P. As I've known and liked my Nemo 3P, it feels like a safe option. Just pricey and a bit heavier than these others.

      Thanks much,
      Curt N
    • casey
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
        To add to your confusion, you should also check out the shelters being offered by ZPacks. Haven't received them yet so I'm still not certain about the products. Just purchased a bugproof cuben fiber tent, approx. 40 sq feet, with beak and footprint, weighs a little over 18 ounces.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
          I've had good luck with the Black Diamond single-wall shelters like the nominal 2-man Firstlight. I'm six feet tall and fit in it (barely) if I sleep on the diagonal.  Also works for me and a kid.

          If I were buying a new one, I'd consider the Highlight, which has a side entry which presumably ventilates better.

          The best thing about the tent is that it';s very good in the wind. Nothing will ruin a good night's sleep than a tent that flaps in wind or wind-driven rain (esp. if you prefer sleeping not in heavy tree cover).

          Condensation has not been a problem, but I'm pretty careful at avoiding sites that are likely to cause it and leave the screen and rainflap open whenever possible.

          On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 7:30 AM, sourdocurt <curt@...> wrote:

          In prep for my first JMT this summer, solo, I'm trying to select the right 1P tent for me.

        • Don Amundson
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
            Hard to say what is the right tent for you until you try it.  By the time you finish the trail you'll know if it's right or not. My thoughts....
            I used the Rainbow in 2009 for a JMT thru.  It's a great tent, easy to set up, very spacious. I bought it thinking I wanted the free standing capability.  In the time I owned it I never set it up in the free standing mode so to me it's not a useful option on the JMT. Will your boots and pack fit in the vestibule-depends on the size of your pack.  My pack is always at my head and nearly empty when I'm sleeping in my tent. I doubt you'll have trouble finding room in the rainbow for everything.
            The Notch is small at 15.2 sq ft.  I recommend you check out the square footage of any tent.  Some look spacious but have a relative small amount of floor space. I've been in a SMD Trekker but never used one on the trail.  SMD is a good company (I currently use their Wild Oasis).  The LightHeart SoLong is a very spacious shelter at 30 sq. ft. If you add the awning fly option you'll have a palace. The Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 is quite small and I've heard people  complain about the door that slants out making it awkward to get in and out during rain. Remember too that the square footage listed for a "double wall" tent (actually a bug net and a fly) is for the coverage of the fly. The actual floor space when the inner tent is setup is smaller.
            Condensation is unavoidable in any tent (more manageable in true double wall 4 season tents).  If you want to really minimize condensation use a tarp. Beyond that site selection will help avoid some the condensation issues.

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
              I have the SoLong 6 with cuben walls and fly and sylnylon floor. Easy to put up, nice vestibule (I don't have the awning - didn't want to bother with an extra pole and it's usually dark by the time I'm in it anyway - and I can roll up the fly to sight-see if I want. It's got tons of space and for your height would be great. Very windproof but can be drafty - meaning it stays standing in big gusts but because the fly doesn't come all the way to the ground, some drafts get in, even tho there is an 8 Inch bathtub floor.

              I used the FlyCreek 1 for over 2 weeks and it had enough room - I kept my pack inside at the head end - I use it as a pillow - and there was about a foot of room at the foot end as well. I'm 5'8" and side sleeper. The width was "enough" - I could side sleep with curled legs and have space on each side. There is barely enough room to sit up on a 1inch pad and not touch the roof - but it is the tent roof not the outer fly roof. That was a bit annoying. Front vestibule is OK, I liked being able to stare out at night and easily adjust for ventilation. And despite my fears, it didn't drip in on me from the vestibule when raining. It's not freestanding by the way, as implied by their ads.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sourdocurt" <curt@...> wrote:

              > In prep for my first JMT this summer, solo, I'm trying to select the right 1P tent for me. Current group trip tent is a Nemo Losi 3P (for me and kids), which I really like. Just too heavy for solo JMT, obviously.
              >
              > I've combed reviews and messages, but still not feeling completely sure about it since I can't actually put my body into any of the cottage manufacturer tents first. I'd love to get opinions re: pros and cons of these, side by side experiences, etc.
              >
              > I'm 6' tall, side sleeper, want to be able to sit up and dress comfortably inside it (40" high minimum). I've never used a superlight tent before, and don't want a tent that's super twitchy about condensation, guying out, etc.
              >
              > General question: is freestanding setup a useful option on the JMT?
              >
              > In terms of specific tents, here's my take so far:
              >
              > 1) TarpTents
              > a) Notch is too narrow for my knees-bent side sleeping.
              > b) Rainbow could be a good choice. Will its small vestibule actually cover a backpack and boots?
              > c) Stratospire 1 also could be a good choice; one concern is it whether it's rather twitchy about guying out, and stable in high winds.
              >
              > 2) Six Moon Skyscape Trekker dimensions look good, but it seems to have relatively little ventilation/condensation management in its design. Any feedback about this?
              >
              > 3) Lightheart Solong comparable to SMD Trekker- better top pole design.
              >
              > 4) Big Agnes 1P options. Tried one at REI, feels narrow up top, and I'm spooked by stories of pole failures and other quality issues on recent buyers. Not inclined to go this route.
              >
              > 5) Nemo Obi 1P. As I've known and liked my Nemo 3P, it feels like a safe option. Just pricey and a bit heavier than these others.
              >
              > Thanks much,
              > Curt N

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
                Curt, I put in another vote for the TT Rainbow. It is a great tent, and with a couple practice set-ups, literally can be set up in a moment! I have switched to a to a Z-Pack Hexamid for some weight savings on the JMT, but still use my Moment on a lot of training hikes where weight isn't a big concern. I have used it in free-standing mode before when camping on slabs, and it works well. It is roomy inside and has room along each side to stash gear if neede. The vestibule is fairly roomy, but I put my pack inside as Don does, and I use it for my shoes and water bottles. Condensation isn't usually an issue, but I have got it before when camped too near water usually. It isn't a deal breaker for me, as I just give it a quick wipe down with my camp towel. I did have. To seam seal the sewn in guy line attachment points as I found out in my first heavy rain storm that the threads will wick water into the tent, only a few drops, but just a heads up.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sourdocurt" <curt@...> wrote:

                > In prep for my first JMT this summer, solo, I'm trying to select the right 1P tent for me. Current group trip tent is a Nemo Losi 3P (for me and kids), which I really like. Just too heavy for solo JMT, obviously.
                >
                > I've combed reviews and messages, but still not feeling completely sure about it since I can't actually put my body into any of the cottage manufacturer tents first. I'd love to get opinions re: pros and cons of these, side by side experiences, etc.
                >
                > I'm 6' tall, side sleeper, want to be able to sit up and dress comfortably inside it (40" high minimum). I've never used a superlight tent before, and don't want a tent that's super twitchy about condensation, guying out, etc.
                >
                > General question: is freestanding setup a useful option on the JMT?
                >
                > In terms of specific tents, here's my take so far:
                >
                > 1) TarpTents
                > a) Notch is too narrow for my knees-bent side sleeping.
                > b) Rainbow could be a good choice. Will its small vestibule actually cover a backpack and boots?
                > c) Stratospire 1 also could be a good choice; one concern is it whether it's rather twitchy about guying out, and stable in high winds.
                >
                > 2) Six Moon Skyscape Trekker dimensions look good, but it seems to have relatively little ventilation/condensation management in its design. Any feedback about this?
                >
                > 3) Lightheart Solong comparable to SMD Trekker- better top pole design.
                >
                > 4) Big Agnes 1P options. Tried one at REI, feels narrow up top, and I'm spooked by stories of pole failures and other quality issues on recent buyers. Not inclined to go this route.
                >
                > 5) Nemo Obi 1P. As I've known and liked my Nemo 3P, it feels like a safe option. Just pricey and a bit heavier than these others.
                >
                > Thanks much,
                > Curt N

              • John
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2013
                  May I suggest you do some more research on Big Agnes tent quality. They are the most popular tents on the AT by far. Been using a Flycreek UL1 and Copper Spur UL2 for many years and rate them the best I've ever owned. At 2 pounds the Flycreek is hard to beat for lightweight hiking IMHO...
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2013
                    I have use the BA Seedhouse SL1 on a number of trips and found it to be well made as you have mentioned. But two issues made me sell it. My main complaint was that I could not sit up in the darn thing - I am 6'6" and it only had a peak height of 38in. I don't know how many times I started cramping from trying to change my clothes in a semi-prone position in this tent. Second, in my quest to shave weight I found I could save some good weight. I did a fair amount of research and ended up purchasing the SMD Lunar Solo. Went from 46oz to 25oz and it gives me the height and length I need plus an area inside the tent to store my pack if needed - not too bad but then it has not been trail tested yet, so we will see if it was a wise choice.

                    Chris