Insoles

  • tim chevrier
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
      I've been experimenting with insoles for my hiking boots for the last number of years now, but I have yet to find an insole that I feel completely satisfied with, especially at the price they are going for. The insoles I am currently using are the Sole Softec Ultra:  https://secure.yoursole.com/ca/footbeds/softec-ultra/, which have great arch support, but my feet start to ache after short distances. I am looking for something with great cushion/absorption, and good arch support (I have normal to high arches).

      Any recommendations?

      Tim.
    • David Neumann
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013

        Try Superfeet Green insoles. I've used them for years and they work quite well. I also have custom orthotics but I prefer the Superfeet when hiking.

        Dave
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
          On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:29 AM, David Neumann <idmtman@...> wrote:

          Try Superfeet Green insoles. I've used them for years and they work quite well. I also have custom orthotics but I prefer the Superfeet when hiking.

          That's been my experience also. In my best boots, however, I had to trim them to half length so that they cup my heel and l;ift my arch but don't go into the toe of the boot (when full length they tended to raise my toes to the point that they rubbed on the boot). With my other boots, Sperfeet green cut to the same length of the boot's original insole worked fine (after removing the original insole).

          Before starting to wear the insoles, I was having recurrent Plantar fasciitis (sharp heel pain in the mornings) and  occasional Achilles Tendonitis. It also helps me to wear the the Green insoles in my street shoes also, and even in the slippers I wear in the house. I made these changes at the recommendations of a podiatrist and, for me at least, its made a huge difference.

          Pricey but they last a pretty long time.

          John L
        • outhiking_55
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2013
            I really like the Superfeet but I had to go to the next size up and then trim it to fit after I found that my heel is larger than normal. Some stores can make custom Superfeet for about 100$. I had some made before going out on a hike with plantar fasciitis. My hike was at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. On the shuttle to the other end of the trail I met a guy from Ohio that had just come from a hike at Isle Royal NP. His plantar fasciitis went away after 3 days of hiking. Mine went away after my 3rd day of hiking. Since then anytime I fell the plantar fasciitis coming back on I get rid of those shoes and it goes away.

            Kim

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, tim chevrier <timchevrier@...> wrote:

            > I've been experimenting with insoles for my hiking boots for the last number of years now, but I have yet to find an insole that I feel completely satisfied with, especially at the price they are going for. The insoles I am currently using are the Sole Softec Ultra: �https://secure.yoursole.com/ca/footbeds/softec-ultra/, which have great arch support, but my feet start to ache after short distances. I am looking for something with great cushion/absorption, and good arch support (I have normal to high arches).
            >
            > Any recommendations?
            >

            > Tim.

          • Don Amundson
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2013
              The question I have is why?  Are you trying to correct a problem?  I only ask because of my own experience.  I had a case of planter fisciitis and a podiatrist said get some Superfeet Blues.  I did and the problem eventually went away.  I continued to use the Superfeet in my street shoes then my hiking shoes (trail runners). Awhile back it dawned on me that the superfeet were prescribed to treat the pain during the healing process not as a prosthesis.  I have stopped using the inserts.  I sometimes wonder about many of the things we do to our feet that tend to fight our anatomy.
              We're born without shoes and at first chance we're shod with our parents idea of protection/cuteness. We start wearing shoes that in no way match the shape of our feet.  Looking that the toe box of most shoes you just might have noticed they taper toward the front-it makes no sense other than as a fashion statement.
              If your feet are hurting it may be that they are being forced to do something they are not designed for or used too. I would suggest trying your shoes/boots without special insoles before adding anything. If they still hurt maybe buying different footwear is in order.

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: timchevrier@...
              Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 02:05:45 -0700
              Subject: [John Muir Trail] Insoles

              I've been experimenting with insoles for my hiking boots for the last number of years now, but I have yet to find an insole that I feel completely satisfied with, especially at the price they are going for. The insoles I am currently using are the Sole Softec Ultra:  https://secure.yoursole.com/ca/footbeds/softec-ultra/, which have great arch support, but my feet start to ache after short distances. I am looking for something with great cushion/absorption, and good arch support (I have normal to high arches).

              Any recommendations?

              Tim.

            • A. Hintz
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2013
                I Agree with Don 100%.

                I used to get terrible blisters and have knee pain whenever hiking in my old clunker hiking boots as a teenager and young adult.  Insoles didn't make a single difference.  I thought that was the norm!

                Now I have almost completely changed the footwear that I use in all aspects of my active life and it has made all the difference.  I use strictly barefoot technology shoes.  I started with the original VibramFiveFingers KSO, moved into various other brands and models, and recently have really been enjoying the products of VIVOBAREFOOT, which have a large toe box and, are exceptionally well made.  I hike, bike, run, walk, go to the gym, and perform any other activity you can think of, including wearing them to teach each day at my school :-)

                I would suggest trying the switch to barefoot shoes if you have any foot/joint issues at all.  They allow your body to work the way it was designed, with a little added comfort/safety net included!

                Andy

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                From: timchevrier@...
                Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 02:05:45 -0700

                I've been experimenting with insoles for my hiking boots for the last number of years now, but I have yet to find an insole that I feel completely satisfied with, especially at the price they are going for. The insoles I am currently using are the Sole Softec Ultra:  https://secure.yoursole.com/ca/footbeds/softec-ultra/, which have great arch support, but my feet start to ache after short distances. I am looking for something with great cushion/absorption, and good arch support (I have normal to high arches).

                Any recommendations?

                Tim.

              • Allen C
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
                  I have tried both Superfeet and Sole insoles and found both to be uncomfortable, clunky, and biomechanically counterproductive. I typically use the insoles that come with my shoes and boots and in most cases they work fine. Insoles and/or shoes with additional arch support actually screw up my biomechanics and invariably make both my feet and knees hurt. I have found the same with the "ankle support" provided by boots and as a result no longer use boots unless I am climbing ice/snow, where the additional stiffness of mountaineering boots is essential.

                  I recently bought some new trail running shoes that had a little bit of additional medial support (Saucony Peregrine 2), and suddenly started getting knee pain after running only 5 miles or so. I switched back to a pair that did not have this and yesterday was able to do 11 very hilly miles with no knee issues at all. Shoes make a huge difference.

                  I have lower arches and may tend to slightly underpronate. For me any additional arch support or pronation control is counterproductive and the effects travel up the kinetic chain to the knees, hips, IT band, etc. For many years I thought I had bad knees, now I think I just had bad shoes/boots.

                  Barefoot type shoes are great, just make sure you don't do too much too soon and hurt yourself. They do strengthen your feet and allow/force them to work the way they are designed, but the lack of padding can lead to injury (including stress fractures) with repetitive impact on hard surfaces - so be smart about how you use them. I would not personally use a barefoot shoe on the JMT as they do not give enough protection from impact and sharp objects, and they slow me down too much. Trail runners with substantial cushion and some rock protection are a better option for me. But barefoot/minimalist shoes are great for many applications.

                  Allen

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "A. Hintz" <speedoamh@...> wrote:

                  > I Agree with Don 100%.
                  >
                  > I used to get terrible blisters and have knee pain whenever hiking in my old clunker hiking boots as a teenager and young adult.  Insoles didn't make a single difference.  I thought that was the norm!
                  >
                  > Now I have almost completely changed the footwear that I use in all aspects of my active life and it has made all the difference.  I use strictly barefoot technology shoes.  I started with the original VibramFiveFingers KSO, moved into various other brands and models, and recently have really been enjoying the products of VIVOBAREFOOT, which have a large toe box and, are exceptionally well made.  I hike, bike, run, walk, go to the gym, and perform any other activity you can think of, including wearing them to teach each day at my school :-)
                  >
                  > I would suggest trying the switch to barefoot shoes if you have any foot/joint issues at all.  They allow your body to work the way it was designed, with a little added comfort/safety net included!
                  >
                  > Andy

                • Terry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
                    I had a terrible case of plantar fasciatus for nearly a year. My initial uneducated attempts at relief were for cushiony inserts and the gel things. Soft didn't work. Finally got custom orthotics and that finally worked. Don't need the orthotics anymore but I use superfeet in all my shoes now and my feet have been fine ever since. I also buy better shoes these days with removable inserts that I can replace with superfeet.