Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Halfway point

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
      On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Kyle Arn <arn.kyle@...> wrote:
      So, If I'm only doing the southern half first, what permit(s) do I need?  Can I get the JMT permit just for the southern half?

      Don has already supplied most of this info, but his post arrived as I was writing this and I don't want to re-write it

      Entering the rough N-S mid-point of the JMT from the East side, most or all the logical trailheads are in Inyo National Forest and permit reservations are obtained online at recreaton.gov (search Inyo National Forest Wilderness Permits, then click on "Overnight" permits).

      Entering from the West side, most or all logical trailheads are in Sierra National Forest, which issues permit reservations via mailing or faxing in a form.

      Neither has special permits for the JMT. Just select your entry trailhead and add the other information requested on the paper or online forms.

      Once your permit is reserved, you pick up the actual permit shortly before your entry. Probably in Mammoth Lakes for east Side entries, in Prather for West side entries.

      See this links folder for more detail