Water system

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 72 , Mar 25, 2013
      I plan to use Aquamira drops rather than filtering and have come up with the following strategy based on what I've been testing so far.

      I will have slightly less than 3.5 liters of total capacity comprised of:

      * One Platypus 2L water tank (http://www.campsaver.com/water-tanks-2-6l) which will be carried in one of the side pockets of my backpack

      * Two 24 ounce Gatorade bottles carried on my backpack shoulder straps.

      For most parts of the John Muir Trail, I would not use the Platypus water tank during the day while hiking. Instead, I plan to use only the two gatorade bottles. I would typically have both full in the morning with treated water. After one of the bottles is depleted, I would switch to the other one and fill the empty bottle at the next water source and treat with drops I would pre-mix for the day. By the time my already treated bottle is depleted, the newly treated bottle should be ready to go. This process would be repeated throughout the day. When I get to camp, I will use the 2L Platypus to have enough water for the night and next morning.

      On long stretches without water like on the day after Red's Meadow, I would tank up with the 2L platypus and use it to fill the two bottles from the Platypus as they are depleted.

      Does this seem adequate for the JMT in late August to mid September or am I missing something important?
    • Robert
      Message 72 of 72 , Dec 30, 2013
        Berdomb, good info! I have heard of no cases of crypto in the Sierras, so it isn't even on my radar for water treatment. I suppose if one was drinking water in the lower sections of creeks or rivers after passing through pastures, ect. it may be an issue. I put my premix in a sealed, black, mini-dropper bottle and it has kept its color for several days, but I still usually only pre-mix a days worth at a time first thing in the morning.