Lone Pine mail drops

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
      I have a minor logistics issue that many others have probably dealt with. I cannot be sure that I will arrive in Lone Pine in time to get to the post office and the CREST bus departure the next morning is well before the post office opens. I spoke to someone at the Dow Villa and she didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about sending a mail drop. After I explained, she said they couldn't hold packages for more than a few days.

      I plan to send myself a duffel bag and some street clothes for after the hike. Right now I'm leaning toward not sending these items to Lone Pine but instead to General Delivery in Reno since I'll arrive there around noon and will not fly out until the next day. But I would prefer to have the mail drop in Lone Pine if possible. Is anyone aware of an alternate location to send mail drops in Lone Pine?
    • Jim White
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
        No need for a mail drop in Lone Pine or Yosemite for a fresh shirt to wear home.

        Both Whitney Portal Store and the shops in Yosemite have nice JMT T-shirts. Buy one and wear it proudly. You can also find other new clothes and grooming supplies in each town.

        Jim

        On Mar 21, 2013, at 9:57 AM, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@...> wrote:

        I have a minor logistics issue that many others have probably dealt with. I cannot be sure that I will arrive in Lone Pine in time to get to the post office and the CREST bus departure the next morning is well before the post office opens. I spoke to someone at the Dow Villa and she didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about sending a mail drop. After I explained, she said they couldn't hold packages for more than a few days.

        I plan to send myself a duffel bag and some street clothes for after the hike. Right now I'm leaning toward not sending these items to Lone Pine but instead to General Delivery in Reno since I'll arrive there around noon and will not fly out until the next day. But I would prefer to have the mail drop in Lone Pine if possible. Is anyone aware of an alternate location to send mail drops in Lone Pine?

      • Larry Beck
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
          There is also a nice laundromat right in Lone Pine.

          Larry

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jim White <jimqpublic@...> wrote:

            > No need for a mail drop in Lone Pine or Yosemite for a fresh shirt to wear home.
            >
            > Both Whitney Portal Store and the shops in Yosemite have nice JMT T-shirts. Buy one and wear it proudly. You can also find other new clothes and grooming supplies in each town.

            Yes, I'm definitely planning on a Mt. Whitney t shirt!

            The issue is more related to sending my duffel bag which I will need to check my pack in for the flight home. But I could send my duffel back home from Yosemite Valley and then buy a replacement somewhere in Reno, or maybe even in Lone Pine. I've also read that some airports can shrink wrap packs (I've seen this a lot in foreign airports) but I'm not sure about relying on that.

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
                Are you staying at Dow Villa Lone Pine and have you prepaid?  Last year we did mail items to Lone Pine but we had prebooked and prepaid (first night's stay).  The items were there when we arrived.  I wonder if they changed their policy.  I'd call and mention my success with them.
                _

                On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:

                I have a minor logistics issue that many others have probably dealt with. I cannot be sure that I will arrive in Lone Pine in time to get to the post office and the CREST bus departure the next morning is well before the post office opens. I spoke to someone at the Dow Villa and she didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about sending a mail drop. After I explained, she said they couldn't hold packages for more than a few days.

                I plan to send myself a duffel bag and some street clothes for after the hike. Right now I'm leaning toward not sending these items to Lone Pine but instead to General Delivery in Reno since I'll arrive there around noon and will not fly out until the next day. But I would prefer to have the mail drop in Lone Pine if possible. Is anyone aware of an alternate location to send mail drops in Lone Pine?

              • denisepoyer
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
                  I knew if I waited some of my logistics questions would start to come up. I too am wondering how folks package their packs for the plane. We had talked about putting the pack in a trash compactor bag and duct taping it closed to get it out to Reno. But how do we get it back home in good condition? Are there easy places to buy plastic bags? Can we get something at the airport?
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
                    In my gear list in the file library I show a duffle bag to use for your pack, and at Yosemite Valley I mail it with my street clothes/items to Lone Pine for pickup there (and I label the label so that if not picked up by such and such date, to be returned to sender (which is my home address).
                    _

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
                      Here it is:

                      REI Classic Duffel Bag - XX Large
                      This duffel bag packs neatly in an included carrying case when not in use. I put my backpack and extra street clothes in this and when I get to the trailhead, I pack the duffel bag, street clothes, cell phone, and street toiletries, including a swim suit and ship to Lone Pine Post Office in care of General Delivery – see http://tinyurl.com/yzpvcuz .

                      or

                      Find any equivalent duffel bag, 18” x 36” (8737 cubic inches or 143 liters in volume) such as this one at Amazon via Outdoor Recreation Group - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001151EIA?tag=nixe-20

                      I have the REI bag not the Amazon one though.

                      _

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "denisepoyer" <denisepoyer@...> wrote:

                        > I knew if I waited some of my logistics questions would start to come up. I too am wondering how folks package their packs for the plane. We had talked about putting the pack in a trash compactor bag and duct taping it closed to get it out to Reno. But how do we get it back home in good condition? Are there easy places to buy plastic bags? Can we get something at the airport?

                        In general, I'm seriously nervous about checking my pack. There will be unusual things in there like a bear canister that will attract interest, I'm sure. Then there will be delicate items like my sleeping bag in its dry bag, etc. I've read that some people request at the airport to be present when their checked luggage is screened but I'm not sure about that. I'm planning to mail myself any items that I think might be problematic such as my stove and I've even seriously considered mailing my entire pack ahead. Lots of the hikers on Whiteblaze starting their AT thrus have been sending packs directly to a hostel at the start of the trail due to nervousness over TSA screening.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
                          I'm a nervous person about the TSA too.  I ship the contents of my bear canister (all those packaged powders, etc., who knows what the TSA will think of those), and my stove (I did not use a stove in 2012 though) to Yosemite Valley Post Office where I pick it up there.  It makes my duffle bag lighter too.  I do check in my pack then and have not had any problems.
                          _

                          On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 1:51 PM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "denisepoyer" <denisepoyer@...> wrote:

                          > I knew if I waited some of my logistics questions would start to come up. I too am wondering how folks package their packs for the plane. We had talked about putting the pack in a trash compactor bag and duct taping it closed to get it out to Reno. But how do we get it back home in good condition? Are there easy places to buy plastic bags? Can we get something at the airport?

                          In general, I'm seriously nervous about checking my pack. There will be unusual things in there like a bear canister that will attract interest, I'm sure. Then there will be delicate items like my sleeping bag in its dry bag, etc. I've read that some people request at the airport to be present when their checked luggage is screened but I'm not sure about that. I'm planning to mail myself any items that I think might be problematic such as my stove and I've even seriously considered mailing my entire pack ahead. Lots of the hikers on Whiteblaze starting their AT thrus have been sending packs directly to a hostel at the start of the trail due to nervousness over TSA screening.

                        • Don Amundson
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
                            There are a couple of places to try.  The Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce will hold a package/duffel for you but I don't know if they will receive a  mailed package--worth a call:

                            120 S Main St  Lone Pine, CA 93545  760-876-4444

                            The Mt. Whitney Hostel, next door to the Dow, might accept hiker packages for pickup, they also have nice, inexpensive accommodations:

                            238 South Main Street.  Shared rooms (4 beds per room) or you can rent the entire room.  Phone:  760-876-0030

                            Personally I would, and have, check in at the Dow, walk accross the street to the laundromat to do my laundry (wearing my wind pants and shirt), have a nice hot shower back in my room and put on my comfy, and now clean hiking clothes.

                            I know two years ago the Reno airport  would shrink wrap your pack at the counter. That year I flew into Reno for a TRT trip and used a throwaway duffel for my pack. If it wasn't for my hiking poles and my tiny Swiss army knife I would have carried on my pack as it was small enough for that. The TSA regs just changed so you can now carry on hiking poles and a sub 3 inch knife.

                            In dealing with the Dow I've always found it better to email them regarding any special requests.  On year they let me leave my car there for 25 days (I did stay for one night on the way to Yosemite).  If you call you're likely to get a part time employee who may or may not be able to accommodate or understand your request.

                            From: ravi@...

                              From: ravi@...

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
                                On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 9:57 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:
                                ... I would prefer to have the mail drop in Lone Pine if possible. Is anyone aware of an alternate location to send mail drops in Lone Pine?

                                Maybe I am missing something here. Why not to the lone Pine Post Office as General Delivery? Limited hours /days might be the concern, of course.

                                John L

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013
                                    Regarding "Packing backpack/gear for flights and having duffel/clean clothes waiting":

                                    I flew into/out of Mammoth last year. I checked my backpack, pole, jacknife, and fully loaded bearcan packed in a large duffel, and had a small duffel to carry on everything else. Worst case, if the checked bag was lost, I'd have had to buy/rent a backpack, bearcan, and groceries in Mammoth or Yosemite.
                                    Mammoth RV Park held my duffels (with a clean set of clothes) for me while I was hiking.

                                    This year for a variety of reasons I need to do things differently and will be staying in Lone Pine before and after the hike, so when I made reservations at Whitney Hostel I asked if they would hold a mostly empty duffel during my hike and they said no problem.

                                    Bruce
                                  • ravi_jmt2013
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 21, 2013

                                      > Maybe I am missing something here. Why not to the lone Pine Post Office as
                                      > General Delivery? Limited hours /days might be the concern, of course.

                                      Yes, it is mainly the limited hours. I plan to get a very early start hiking up Whitney to get to the summit shortly after sunrise so in theory I should have no problem making it down to Lone Pine by 4:30 but I'd rather not take the chance.

                                      But this thread has been very helpful with possible alternatives and there a lot of ideas for me to follow up on. Thanks everyone!
                                    • judithsmcguire
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 22, 2013
                                        In 2010 I mailed a box to Dow Villa (having made a reservation there first) and there was no problem. If they aren't willing you might consider asking another business in Town to hold for you. Call first.

                                        Judy McGuire
                                      • Chris
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 22, 2013
                                          "...duffel bag which I will need to check my pack in..."

                                          Ravi: I don't know about international air travel, but for US domestic flights I have used an internal frame backpack as a suitcase for all my domestic flights, at least 30 flights over the past 15 years. My wife and I have two small children, and with holding their hands and carrying their car seats through the airports, it is much easier for me to carry everything in a backpack so my hands are free to help them. I always buckle and cinch down the straps as tightly as possible, often the waist belt can be buckled behind the back of the pack so it doesn't form a loop that can catch on things. Many times, the US carriers will put the backpack in a large bomb-proof plastic bag... they also use these bags for children's car seats. I'm sure you can ask for one of these big bags if you are afraid the straps or buckles will get damaged somehow. I've never seen any damage, even when a plastic bag isn't available.

                                          Regarding camping gear, I've chatted with TSA folks and I'm pretty sure they are used to seeing that "strange" camping stuff show up on the X-ray machine. Just make sure there's nothing flammable in there... don't pack ANY fuel, keep the lids off the (empty) fuel containers and the stoves so they can be completely free of any fuel residue. Of course the stove will show up on the X-ray machine, so the backpack will be checked, so just make sure any "strange" things like the stove are at the top of the pack for their easy access. Also, the TSA recommends keeping electrical cables neatly bundled, in case you have a phone charger or anything like that. If you think the bear canister will be a problem, keep it at the top of the pack too, so they can easily check it.

                                          If you are worried about other things like food powders, etc, just keep them in their original packaging for the flight, then repackage them after arrival in the US.

                                          I wouldn't think twice about checking an internal frame backpack onto an airplane, even loaded with backpacking gear.

                                          Chris.

                                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jim White <jimqpublic@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > No need for a mail drop in Lone Pine or Yosemite for a fresh shirt to wear home.
                                          > >
                                          > > Both Whitney Portal Store and the shops in Yosemite have nice JMT T-shirts. Buy one and wear it proudly. You can also find other new clothes and grooming supplies in each town.
                                          > >

                                          > Yes, I'm definitely planning on a Mt. Whitney t shirt!
                                          >
                                          > The issue is more related to sending my duffel bag which I will need to check my pack in for the flight home. But I could send my duffel back home from Yosemite Valley and then buy a replacement somewhere in Reno, or maybe even in Lone Pine. I've also read that some airports can shrink wrap packs (I've seen this a lot in foreign airports) but I'm not sure about relying on that.

                                        • Adam .
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 22, 2013
                                            I managed to score the perfect backpack sized cardboard box near a dumpster in Lone Pine. The box got dinged up quite a bit when I checked the bag, but the backpack was undamaged. The lady at the checkout counter told me that they have people check backpacks without any special wrapping all the time, but backpacks are expensive, and I didn't want to take the chance.