Re: Electrolytes

  • woodyrtt
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
      If you perspire a lot, replacing electrolytes, namely sodium and potassium, could be important. Most people, even when they exercise, get enough electrolytes from their food. On the trail, I would err on the side of adding some electrolytes to your water to avoid muscle cramps. If you ingest too many electrolytes, your body will get rid of them in your perspiration and urine. Given that you'll be burning extra calories, don't worry about a low-calorie source of electrolytes. Studies have shown that sugar and electrolytes actually help each other be absorbed (this goes back to University of Florida researchers testing a treatment for electrolyte loss due to cholera on the school's football players; the result was Gatorade). I suggest you go on Amazon.com, search "electrolyte powder," and try out a few to see which ones you like. Take a few different ones, so you don't get tired of them. Good luck!