Gps and Cell phone

  • stuart dodson
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 12 6:49 AM
      Are either of these worth taking and having the weight penalty.Just
      wonder about renting a cell phone for use at the end of the trail to
      confirm/book buses,hotel etc.Or can I do the that from Whitney Portal
      or somewhere.Or perish the thought yogi a call from fellow hiker(to be
      paid for)
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 12 7:55 AM
        Hi All. I'm wondering the same thing about cell phones. We will be hiking from Onion Valley over Kearsarge Pass to Whitney Portal. I know in the past, I've seen people on top of Mt. Whitney using a cell phone. I believe the carrier was Verizon (unconfirmed). Does anyone have any knowledge if a cell phone will work from Onion Valley to Whitney Portal? If so, do you know where and which carrier? I'd imagine on the passes a cell phone may work. Thanks.

        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 12 8:23 AM
          I was at Onion Valley campground last week. The was no AT&T cell service (and the locals say none from from any other carrier either) there. We lost AT&T service about 3 miles west of Lone Pine.

          Wandering Bob

        • julesnmaya
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 12 8:31 AM
            I did not carry my cell phone on our trip, but it I did find Verizon
            to have cell service on the east side. I didn't check it at the
            trailheads, however, it did work along 395. julie

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead"
            <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

            > I was at Onion Valley campground last week. The was no AT&T cell
            service (and the locals say none from from any other carrier either)
            there. We lost AT&T service about 3 miles west of Lone Pine.

            > Wandering Bob

          • Ima Person
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 12 8:36 AM
              I carried both,  the cell phone did not work at any point but I did find it convenient for use in Lone Pine.  The GPS was minimally used as an altimeter on a couple of occasions.  In retrospect, I would leave both at home.

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 12 8:51 AM
                Go ahead and take the cell phone it weighs practically nothing.  You can get a signal for sure at Vermillion and top of Forrester Pass.

                Forget the GPS unless you are going to do some off trail bushwacking.

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 12 9:11 AM
                  If the cell phone is going to be used for that limited purpose,
                  probably not worth paying to rent one unless you check out the
                  carrier's coverage maps where you expect to use it. Otherwise, you
                  may get there an find it's useless. Odds are you can find a pay
                  phone or someone will let you borrow.

                  That said, digital phones (e.g., GSM) probably have worse odds than
                  analog in terms of getting a signal. But I don't know if you'll
                  find many analog options these days. Wish I still had service for
                  my old AT&T dual-mode (analog/digital) phone.

                  If you want to be able to communicate on the trail for emergency
                  purposes or otherwise, rent a satellite phone. That's what I'm
                  doing for a solo trip. In part for my wife's sake in case I get
                  mauled by a bear in the middle of the night. That way, the bear can
                  call home and let her know. :) They run about $50/week and you can
                  prepay for a minutes bundle if you want or just pay on a per minute
                  basis if you're not going to use it much. Search the web
                  for "satellite phone rental" and there are a bunch of outfits w/
                  different packages.

                  Good luck!

                  -chris

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "stuart dodson"
                  <stuartdodson@...> wrote:

                  > Are either of these worth taking and having the weight penalty.Just
                  > wonder about renting a cell phone for use at the end of the trail
                  > confirm/book buses,hotel etc.Or can I do the that from Whitney
                  Portal
                  > or somewhere.Or perish the thought yogi a call from fellow hiker
                  be
                  > paid for)

                • cjoslyn99
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 12 9:22 AM
                    One other thought. When you check out the carriers' websites for
                    their cell phone coverage maps, see what they're offering in terms
                    of prepaid cell phones. AT&T, for example, has huge rebates on
                    refurbished Go Phones (you end up paying like $20) and then you "pay
                    as you go" for minutes. I'd have to imagine it's much cheaper than
                    renting.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@...>
                    wrote:

                    > If the cell phone is going to be used for that limited purpose,
                    > probably not worth paying to rent one unless you check out the
                    > carrier's coverage maps where you expect to use it. Otherwise,
                    you
                    > may get there an find it's useless. Odds are you can find a pay
                    > phone or someone will let you borrow.
                    >
                    > That said, digital phones (e.g., GSM) probably have worse odds
                    than
                    > analog in terms of getting a signal. But I don't know if you'll
                    > find many analog options these days. Wish I still had service for
                    > my old AT&T dual-mode (analog/digital) phone.
                    >
                    > If you want to be able to communicate on the trail for emergency
                    > purposes or otherwise, rent a satellite phone. That's what I'm
                    > doing for a solo trip. In part for my wife's sake in case I get
                    > mauled by a bear in the middle of the night. That way, the bear
                    can
                    > call home and let her know. :) They run about $50/week and you
                    can
                    > prepay for a minutes bundle if you want or just pay on a per
                    minute
                    > basis if you're not going to use it much. Search the web
                    > for "satellite phone rental" and there are a bunch of outfits w/
                    > different packages.
                    >
                    > Good luck!
                    >
                    > -chris
                    >
                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "stuart dodson"
                    > <stuartdodson@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Are either of these worth taking and having the weight
                    penalty.Just
                    > > wonder about renting a cell phone for use at the end of the
                    trail
                    > > confirm/book buses,hotel etc.Or can I do the that from Whitney
                    > Portal
                    > > or somewhere.Or perish the thought yogi a call from fellow hiker
                    > be
                    > > paid for)

                  • romanryder
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 12 11:17 AM
                      I'm planning to bring a SPOT for emergencies and to keep people at
                      home up-to-date on my status. My gps and cell weigh about 5 ounces
                      each. I will more than likely bring both.
                    • taterno@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 12 12:08 PM
                        Jim,
                        Which carrier has cell service at VVR?

                        Tom
                        The Incredible Bulk

                        =============

                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 12 12:14 PM
                          I have AT&T and in 2005 I got reception ontop of Whitney and at Trail
                          Crest, if I stood in a certain spot and did not move. I went last
                          year in 2007 and got no reception at all, ever. So I think its hit
                          and miss. Others in my group had Verizon and also did not get
                          reception on that day in 2007. From Onion Valley over Kearsarge Pass
                          to Whitney Portal nothing except maybe the 2 locations I mentioned.
                          Good luck.

                          When I hiked half the JMT in 2007 I rented a Sat Phone, kind of
                          expaensive, extra weight and worked about 75% of the time. I have
                          heard now that the ones they rent are better and slightly lighter
                          (not much). If you would like the information on the Sat phone, let
                          me know. But I think it would be a large cost and more unneeded
                          weight for the use you stated.

                          Take Care
                          Be Safe

                          Jay Strine

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ken <nekeel@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All. I'm wondering the same thing about cell phones. We will
                          be hiking from Onion Valley over Kearsarge Pass to Whitney Portal. I
                          know in the past, I've seen people on top of Mt. Whitney using a cell
                          phone. I believe the carrier was Verizon (unconfirmed). Does anyone
                          have any knowledge if a cell phone will work from Onion Valley to
                          Whitney Portal? If so, do you know where and which carrier? I'd
                          imagine on the passes a cell phone may work. Thanks.

                        • Jim Martin
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 12 12:16 PM
                            At the time I did the trip it was GSM which would have been ATT or whatever they were calling themselves at the time. Someone waiting for the boat to take us to VVR at the time made a call.

                            When I was at Forrester Pass, I made a call on my Alltel phone which is CDMA, same as Verizon.

                            For those intereste here is a link to our trip photos:

                            http://www.catchafallingstar.com/jmt/johnmuirtrail2003.htm

                            > Go ahead and take the cell phone it weighs practically
                            > nothing.  You can get a signal for sure at Vermillion and
                            > top of Forrester Pass.
                            >
                            > Forget the GPS unless you are going to do some off trail
                            > bushwacking.
                            >

                            > --- On Tue, 8/12/08, stuart dodson
                            > <stuartdodson@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > From: stuart dodson <stuartdodson@...>
                            > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Gps and Cell phone
                            > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                            > Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2008, 6:49 AM
                            >

                            > Are either of these worth taking and having the weight
                            > penalty.Just
                            > wonder about renting a cell phone for use at the end of the
                            > trail to
                            > confirm/book buses,hotel etc.Or can I do the that from
                            > Whitney Portal
                            > or somewhere.Or perish the thought yogi a call from fellow
                            > hiker(to be
                            > paid for)

                          • Ima Person
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 12 12:41 PM
                              for what it is worth, when I was coming out of VVR to get back on the trail, someone on the ferry was able to get a signal of some sort with their blackberry.

                              At the time I did the trip it was GSM which would have been ATT or whatever they were calling themselves at the time. Someone waiting for the boat to take us to VVR at the time made a call.

                              When I was at Forrester Pass, I made a call on my Alltel phone which is CDMA, same as Verizon.

                              For those intereste here is a link to our trip photos:

                              http://www.catchafa llingstar. com/jmt/johnmuir trail2003. htm

                              > Go ahead and take the cell phone it weighs practically
                              > nothing.  You can get a signal for sure at Vermillion and
                              > top of Forrester Pass.
                              >
                              > Forget the GPS unless you are going to do some off trail
                              > bushwacking.
                              >

                              > --- On Tue, 8/12/08, stuart dodson
                              > <stuartdodson@ ymail.com> wrote:
                              >
                              > From: stuart dodson <stuartdodson@ ymail.com>
                              > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Gps and Cell phone
                              > To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com
                              > Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2008, 6:49 AM
                              >

                              > Are either of these worth taking and having the weight
                              > penalty.Just
                              > wonder about renting a cell phone for use at the end of the
                              > trail to
                              > confirm/book buses,hotel etc.Or can I do the that from
                              > Whitney Portal
                              > or somewhere.Or perish the thought yogi a call from fellow
                              > hiker(to be
                              > paid for)

                            • sim ong
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 12 3:52 PM
                                I carried my AT&T cell phone while I was on the JMT.
                                I did get signal near Reds Meadow, at Reds Meadow, and
                                at the trailhead of Bear Ridge (by Lake Edison Dam).
                                No signal was available on Glen Pass, Forester Pass,
                                or Mt.Whitney.

                              • Derek Peters
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 12 3:53 PM
                                  I had Cingular,now AT&T, and called home from the peaks of Tyndall and Whitney back in 2005.  No reception down lower nor along the JMT trail between the two. That far away it's line of site.  If you can see Lone Pine, you can get a call out.  Texting is even better.  If you get an intermittent signal, a text will get out during a short connection.

                                  Derek

                                  <wandering_bob@ ...> wrote:

                                  > I was at Onion Valley campground last week. The was no AT&T cell

                                  service (and the locals say none from from any other carrier either)

                                  there. We lost AT&T service about 3 miles west of Lone Pine.

                                  > Wandering Bob

                                • Mark Habermeyer
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 12 4:25 PM
                                    I just thought I would put my 2 cents in here. I've hiked portions of
                                    the JMT and never was able to get a signal on my cell except on the
                                    top of Mt. Whitney. I have Verizon and that seems to be able to pick
                                    up an analog signal out of Lone Pine. On a different hike I was also
                                    able to use my Verizon cell on the top of Mt. Langley. I always had
                                    to direct the phone in a "line of sight" to the Owens Valley floor
                                    where Lone Pine is located. I had to be careful not to move around
                                    too much as my signal was easily lost.

                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, sim ong <song95139@...> wrote:

                                    > I carried my AT&T cell phone while I was on the JMT.
                                    > I did get signal near Reds Meadow, at Reds Meadow, and
                                    > at the trailhead of Bear Ridge (by Lake Edison Dam).
                                    > No signal was available on Glen Pass, Forester Pass,
                                    > or Mt.Whitney.
                                    >

                                    > --- Ima Person <imaperson91@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > for what it is worth, when I was coming out of VVR
                                    > > to get back on the trail, someone on the ferry was
                                    > > able to get a signal of some sort with their
                                    > > blackberry.

                                  • Brian Herrera
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 12 4:37 PM
                                      Just and FYI, analog networks no longer exist as of Feb. 2007. So if you're counting on an analog signal, it won't work anymore.

                                      -Brian

                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com<mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>, sim ong <song95139@...> wrote:

                                      > I carried my AT&T cell phone while I was on the JMT.
                                      > I did get signal near Reds Meadow, at Reds Meadow, and
                                      > at the trailhead of Bear Ridge (by Lake Edison Dam).
                                      > No signal was available on Glen Pass, Forester Pass,
                                      > or Mt.Whitney.
                                      >

                                      > --- Ima Person <imaperson91@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > for what it is worth, when I was coming out of VVR
                                      > > to get back on the trail, someone on the ferry was
                                      > > able to get a signal of some sort with their
                                      > > blackberry.

                                      This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain
                                      information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
                                      not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or
                                      copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not
                                      the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either the e-mail address or telephone
                                      number above and delete this e-mail from your computer. Thank you.

                                    • cjoslyn99
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 12 5:12 PM
                                        2008, but good point.

                                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Herrera" <bherrera@...>

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 12 5:25 PM
                                          OK. Thanks for the update. This hike was in July of 2007. My
                                          Verizon may not be able to get a signal anymore. Does a digital
                                          signal work from the top of Whitney and Langley? Just curious if
                                          anyone is getting reception from the top of those peaks now. Thanks
                                          for the info.

                                          -Mark

                                        • C McLain
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 12 6:04 PM
                                            I was at the top of Whitney yesterday (8-11) and used a Verizon phone
                                            to make two calls. We stood at the eastern most location on the
                                            summit with direct view to the Lone Pine area.
                                            Regarding at&t, my iPhone did get reception and at times showed two
                                            bars. I could not however, initiate a call. While attempting the
                                            calls, a text message popped up, so there was communication between
                                            the phone and tower, but evidently not enough for a call.
                                            Other phones on at&t may have better xmit power as I believe that was
                                            the problem with my phone.
                                            Both of the phones were digital.

                                            Chris

                                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Habermeyer"
                                            <drhabermeyer@...> wrote:

                                            > OK. Thanks for the update. This hike was in July of 2007. My
                                            > Verizon may not be able to get a signal anymore. Does a digital
                                            > signal work from the top of Whitney and Langley? Just curious if
                                            > anyone is getting reception from the top of those peaks now. Thanks
                                            > for the info.
                                            >
                                            > -Mark
                                            >
                                            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > 2008, but good point.
                                            > >

                                            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Herrera" <bherrera@>
                                            > > wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Just and FYI, analog networks no longer exist as of Feb. 2007. So
                                            > > if you're counting on an analog signal, it won't work anymore.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > -Brian

                                          • pottertroop10
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 13 11:30 AM
                                              I take both.
                                              The Pros
                                              Benefits of a phone
                                              (a) Where you do have receiption, you can use it - sort of like
                                              credit cards or cash. After all, you can't buy a snickers from a
                                              lodgepole pine either.
                                              (b) I have heard, but cannot verify, that an emergency 911 call can
                                              sometimes get out even though you may not think you have reception.
                                              Benefits of a GPS unit (assuming you are very familiar with it and
                                              have your daily routes loaded into it).
                                              (a) LESS STRESS - I go to the woods to relax, I can stress out enough
                                              in civilization. With a GPS you know where you are, how many miles
                                              you've gone and how much longer you have that day. Prior to GPS, 8
                                              hours out and well, I was often 8 hours out to somewhere. Didn't know
                                              how far or how much longer. It was a constant search for something to
                                              match my map and I was always (obsessively and frankly perhaps
                                              irrationally) concerned "what if someone has screwed with the
                                              signage." With a GPS (and a MAP and compass as well-just in case),
                                              having the GPS beep as you cross the 55th waypoint of a 60 waypoint
                                              day is EXTREMELY comforting. Seeing meadows, streams and lakes labled
                                              on screen right where you are takes out ALL of the guesswork.
                                              Honestly, if you have studied your map and guidebook for the JMT, as
                                              well marked as the JMT is, a GPS is truly a luxury. However, the same
                                              goes for a street GPS unit. If you study your hardcopy map, print out
                                              your googlemap instructions and double check google with your
                                              hardcopy map, then you should have no problems either. BUT, if you
                                              have ever used a streetmap GPS unit - you may come to find it the
                                              nicest travel luxury since cruise control.
                                              The Cons: about 0.5 to 1 pound in batteries and equipment and the
                                              cost and learning curve for the GPS. Don't underestimate that
                                              learning curve either. Instructions were horrible, I had to buy an
                                              aftermarket guide to GPS units for my Garmin Vista Hcx. Don't expect
                                              to buy one a week before you go out, unless you have a lot of free
                                              time that week!
                                            • trconroy1446
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 13 11:51 AM
                                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "pottertroop10" <pottertroop10@...> wrote:

                                                > I take both.
                                                > The Pros
                                                > Benefits of a phone
                                                > (a) Where you do have receiption, you can use it - sort of like
                                                > credit cards or cash. After all, you can't buy a snickers from a
                                                > lodgepole pine either.
                                                > (b) I have heard, but cannot verify, that an emergency 911 call can
                                                > sometimes get out even though you may not think you have reception.
                                                > Benefits of a GPS unit (assuming you are very familiar with it and
                                                > have your daily routes loaded into it).
                                                > (a) LESS STRESS - I go to the woods to relax, I can stress out enough
                                                > in civilization. With a GPS you know where you are, how many miles
                                                > you've gone and how much longer you have that day. Prior to GPS, 8
                                                > hours out and well, I was often 8 hours out to somewhere. Didn't know
                                                > how far or how much longer. It was a constant search for something to
                                                > match my map and I was always (obsessively and frankly perhaps
                                                > irrationally) concerned "what if someone has screwed with the
                                                > signage." With a GPS (and a MAP and compass as well-just in case),
                                                > having the GPS beep as you cross the 55th waypoint of a 60 waypoint
                                                > day is EXTREMELY comforting. Seeing meadows, streams and lakes labled
                                                > on screen right where you are takes out ALL of the guesswork.
                                                > Honestly, if you have studied your map and guidebook for the JMT, as
                                                > well marked as the JMT is, a GPS is truly a luxury. However, the same
                                                > goes for a street GPS unit. If you study your hardcopy map, print out
                                                > your googlemap instructions and double check google with your
                                                > hardcopy map, then you should have no problems either. BUT, if you
                                                > have ever used a streetmap GPS unit - you may come to find it the
                                                > nicest travel luxury since cruise control.
                                                > The Cons: about 0.5 to 1 pound in batteries and equipment and the
                                                > cost and learning curve for the GPS. Don't underestimate that
                                                > learning curve either. Instructions were horrible, I had to buy an
                                                > aftermarket guide to GPS units for my Garmin Vista Hcx. Don't expect
                                                > to buy one a week before you go out, unless you have a lot of free
                                                > time that week!

                                                Which "aftermarket guide" for your Vista HCx did you purchase? Wholeheartedly agree --
                                                the Garmin instructions are lousy! Thank you!
                                              • pottertroop10
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 13 3:44 PM
                                                  "A GPS User Manual: Working With Garmin Receivers"
                                                  Got it from Amazon. Not the best guide as it is aimed at all Garmins.
                                                  So you'll get a lot of impractical information (e.g., I really don't
                                                  care to understand how many satellites are up there, their timing
                                                  systems, etc.). But it does go through what each Screen can tell you,
                                                  working with waypoints, routes, etc. Better than the manual and better
                                                  than nothing.
                                                • trconroy1446
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Aug 13 3:54 PM
                                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "pottertroop10" <pottertroop10@...> wrote:

                                                    > "A GPS User Manual: Working With Garmin Receivers"
                                                    > Got it from Amazon. Not the best guide as it is aimed at all Garmins.
                                                    > So you'll get a lot of impractical information (e.g., I really don't
                                                    > care to understand how many satellites are up there, their timing
                                                    > systems, etc.). But it does go through what each Screen can tell you,
                                                    > working with waypoints, routes, etc. Better than the manual and better
                                                    > than nothing.

                                                    Many thanks!!
                                                  • romanryder
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Aug 14 9:09 AM
                                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "trconroy1446" <trconroy@...> wrote:

                                                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "pottertroop10"
                                                      <pottertroop10@> wrote:

                                                      > > I take both.
                                                      > > The Pros
                                                      > > Benefits of a phone
                                                      > > (a) Where you do have receiption, you can use it - sort of like
                                                      > > credit cards or cash. After all, you can't buy a snickers from a
                                                      > > lodgepole pine either.
                                                      > > (b) I have heard, but cannot verify, that an emergency 911 call can
                                                      > > sometimes get out even though you may not think you have reception.
                                                      > > Benefits of a GPS unit (assuming you are very familiar with it and
                                                      > > have your daily routes loaded into it).
                                                      > > (a) LESS STRESS - I go to the woods to relax, I can stress out enough
                                                      > > in civilization. With a GPS you know where you are, how many miles
                                                      > > you've gone and how much longer you have that day. Prior to GPS, 8
                                                      > > hours out and well, I was often 8 hours out to somewhere. Didn't know
                                                      > > how far or how much longer. It was a constant search for something to
                                                      > > match my map and I was always (obsessively and frankly perhaps
                                                      > > irrationally) concerned "what if someone has screwed with the
                                                      > > signage." With a GPS (and a MAP and compass as well-just in case),
                                                      > > having the GPS beep as you cross the 55th waypoint of a 60 waypoint
                                                      > > day is EXTREMELY comforting. Seeing meadows, streams and lakes labled
                                                      > > on screen right where you are takes out ALL of the guesswork.
                                                      > > Honestly, if you have studied your map and guidebook for the JMT, as
                                                      > > well marked as the JMT is, a GPS is truly a luxury. However, the same
                                                      > > goes for a street GPS unit. If you study your hardcopy map, print out
                                                      > > your googlemap instructions and double check google with your
                                                      > > hardcopy map, then you should have no problems either. BUT, if you
                                                      > > have ever used a streetmap GPS unit - you may come to find it the
                                                      > > nicest travel luxury since cruise control.
                                                      > > The Cons: about 0.5 to 1 pound in batteries and equipment and the
                                                      > > cost and learning curve for the GPS. Don't underestimate that
                                                      > > learning curve either. Instructions were horrible, I had to buy an
                                                      > > aftermarket guide to GPS units for my Garmin Vista Hcx. Don't expect
                                                      > > to buy one a week before you go out, unless you have a lot of free
                                                      > > time that week!
                                                      > >

                                                      > Which "aftermarket guide" for your Vista HCx did you purchase?
                                                      Wholeheartedly agree --
                                                      > the Garmin instructions are lousy! Thank you!

                                                      I picked up a Legend Hcx the day before I left for the Smokies in
                                                      March. It was my first GPS, so I was starting from scratch. I
                                                      basically figured it out how to use the features I needed on the drive
                                                      there. I'm not saying I'm a GPS expert now, but I was able to use it
                                                      efficiently enough to meet my needs.
                                                    • zmortalcityz
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Aug 15 1:24 PM
                                                        I've got a Magellan Crossover - large color touch screen with Topo and
                                                        fancy-schmancy navigation. Topo is a little finicky with scrolling,
                                                        etc but I have yet to find one that isn't. It is handy for hiking new
                                                        spots and marking locations to come back to, but I find it most useful
                                                        just getting to the trailhead! It sure would have come in handy when
                                                        dropping someone off at some campground outside the valley that none
                                                        of us had been to before at 12am. Would have been especially helpful
                                                        navigating through the valley and trying to get to the backpacker's
                                                        campground at 2am without a map.

                                                        For the entire trail, I never once wished for the GPS - even if the
                                                        weight penalty wasn't an issue. The trail is ridiculously well
                                                        marked. There were a few trail junctions with confusing singage, but
                                                        the map was all that was needed.

                                                        Unless you are doing some ridiculous cross country journey, I just
                                                        couldn't imagine needing one. Seems like just a pain in the butt when
                                                        a map is so close at hand. With a compass and a landmark or two I
                                                        think I could find my spot on a map quicker than pulling out the GPS
                                                        turning it on, waiting for a signal, loading up the map, etc. But
                                                        thats just my personal experience...

                                                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "romanryder" <romanryder@...> wrote:

                                                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "trconroy1446" <trconroy@> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "pottertroop10"
                                                        > <pottertroop10@> wrote:
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > I take both.
                                                        > > > The Pros
                                                        > > > Benefits of a phone
                                                        > > > (a) Where you do have receiption, you can use it - sort of like
                                                        > > > credit cards or cash. After all, you can't buy a snickers from a
                                                        > > > lodgepole pine either.
                                                        > > > (b) I have heard, but cannot verify, that an emergency 911 call can
                                                        > > > sometimes get out even though you may not think you have reception.
                                                        > > > Benefits of a GPS unit (assuming you are very familiar with it and
                                                        > > > have your daily routes loaded into it).
                                                        > > > (a) LESS STRESS - I go to the woods to relax, I can stress out
                                                        enough
                                                        > > > in civilization. With a GPS you know where you are, how many miles
                                                        > > > you've gone and how much longer you have that day. Prior to GPS, 8
                                                        > > > hours out and well, I was often 8 hours out to somewhere. Didn't
                                                        know
                                                        > > > how far or how much longer. It was a constant search for
                                                        something to
                                                        > > > match my map and I was always (obsessively and frankly perhaps
                                                        > > > irrationally) concerned "what if someone has screwed with the
                                                        > > > signage." With a GPS (and a MAP and compass as well-just in case),
                                                        > > > having the GPS beep as you cross the 55th waypoint of a 60 waypoint
                                                        > > > day is EXTREMELY comforting. Seeing meadows, streams and lakes
                                                        labled
                                                        > > > on screen right where you are takes out ALL of the guesswork.
                                                        > > > Honestly, if you have studied your map and guidebook for the
                                                        JMT, as
                                                        > > > well marked as the JMT is, a GPS is truly a luxury. However, the
                                                        same
                                                        > > > goes for a street GPS unit. If you study your hardcopy map,
                                                        print out
                                                        > > > your googlemap instructions and double check google with your
                                                        > > > hardcopy map, then you should have no problems either. BUT, if you
                                                        > > > have ever used a streetmap GPS unit - you may come to find it the
                                                        > > > nicest travel luxury since cruise control.
                                                        > > > The Cons: about 0.5 to 1 pound in batteries and equipment and the
                                                        > > > cost and learning curve for the GPS. Don't underestimate that
                                                        > > > learning curve either. Instructions were horrible, I had to buy an
                                                        > > > aftermarket guide to GPS units for my Garmin Vista Hcx. Don't
                                                        expect
                                                        > > > to buy one a week before you go out, unless you have a lot of free
                                                        > > > time that week!
                                                        > > >

                                                        > > Which "aftermarket guide" for your Vista HCx did you purchase?
                                                        > Wholeheartedly agree --
                                                        > > the Garmin instructions are lousy! Thank you!
                                                        > >
                                                        > I picked up a Legend Hcx the day before I left for the Smokies in
                                                        > March. It was my first GPS, so I was starting from scratch. I
                                                        > basically figured it out how to use the features I needed on the drive
                                                        > there. I'm not saying I'm a GPS expert now, but I was able to use it
                                                        > efficiently enough to meet my needs.

                                                      • hmdsierra
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Aug 15 11:38 PM
                                                          A similar thought has been rolling around in my head for the past few
                                                          days. the usual reason for heading to the wilderness is to leave the
                                                          civilized world behind and lead a simple life for a while, trade your
                                                          watch for a sundial. It seems that some are more focused on the
                                                          destination rather than the journey. Instead of escaping from tight
                                                          schedules and deadlines they are applying them to the hike. When you
                                                          have 60 waypoints for a days hike you will spend more time checking or
                                                          thinking about checking your toy than looking at the scenery. It is
                                                          not a trek across the Sahara going from one hidden oasis to the next.
                                                          The trail is well marked and well worn, put your foot in the groove
                                                          and keep going until you reach the other end. When my son and I did
                                                          JMT in '82 we had the topo maps and a compass. We didn't use the maps
                                                          for navigation but to check our progess a bit and mostly to identify
                                                          the features we saw, the only time we used the compass. We also used
                                                          them to see the hidden areas, planting seeds for future trips. The
                                                          onlly place we couldn't see the trail ahead was the north side of
                                                          Donahue Pass, due to the snow, but just headed for the top and caught
                                                          the trail again. If you have a really good campsite ther is no need
                                                          to push a button, just pay attention and the next time use your EYES
                                                          device, no batteries required. If you want to share the location,
                                                          describe it and that person can use the EYES device to fine it. You
                                                          don't need it ti find a campsite. they are everywhere. Many have fire
                                                          rings and sitting logs or rocks. I like those sites but if you forgo
                                                          the campfire any place is a campsite. Everybody must make their own
                                                          trip and I'm reminded of when my friend and I did the south half in
                                                          '93. We were there in our jeans and outdoor shirts talking to someone
                                                          in glow in the dark green spandex shorts. My friend looked at me and
                                                          said "I guess we're not woodsy anymore". My advice is to make a
                                                          general plan, don't micro-manage, and let the trip unfold. Take the
                                                          time to smell the Columbine.

                                                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "zmortalcityz"